Terminator: Dark Fate trailer

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/23/terminator-dark-fate-trailer.html

5 Likes

Fourth reboot’s the charm!

8 Likes

Linda recently threw some serious shade at the non-Linda-Hamilton-starring Terminator films. And really, she’s not wrong.

6 Likes

2 Likes

That last flick Genisys…It was good for the first 2/3’s of the film…then the Sarah Connor character went all mad queen and torched a city and had sex with her nephew. Everyone hated that.

7 Likes

Just who is the demographic this sort of film is aimed at?

I mean I loved the first two movies. Arnie was great (leaving aside the Republicanism, the attitude to women, LGBTQ people, or in fact pretty much all of his personal opinions or characteristics apart from a truly impressive determination and drive) but do I want to watch another Terminator movie? Or another Arnie film? Not really.

I mean I streamed that thing with Sylvester Stallone and Arnie where Stallone is an escape expert who volunteers to test a super-max facility and (surprise!) it turns out to be a sudden but inevitable betrayal by his best buddy [Totally not a spoiler].

It’s ok but not, you know, good.

Oh dear God, there’s a sequel to it? And a third?

I take it all back. Apparently the only reason films are made today is for the tax breaks. It’s the only explanation.

7 Likes

That looks bad. There’s some real red flags in that trailer.

Neal Stephenson explains Hollywood in Cryptonomicon:

Hollywood was merely a specialized bank — a consortium of large financial entities that hired talent, almost always for a flat rate, ordered that talent to create a product, and then marketed that product to death, all over the world, in every conceivable medium. The goal was to find products that would keep on making money forever, long after the talent had been paid off and sent packing. Casablanca, for example, was still putting asses in seats decades after Bogart had been paid off and smoked himself into an early grave.

12 Likes

Stop it, Stooooooop itttttttt, it’s already dead…

4 Likes

Sensing a serious lack of imagination coming from Hollywood these days.

4 Likes

That’s what I mean. The above quote is out-dated. Well, not out-dated. That part is still true but the film doesn’t even have to make money.

Finally, if all else fails, the producers can top up the budget with additional funding from private investors. Since 2012, the low budget film industry has made heavy use of a new finance vehicle called Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme (SEIS) designed to persuade people to put their money into the creative industries. The scheme is extremely generous: investors can redeem 50 per cent of their contribution against their income tax bill (invest £10,000 and pay £5,000 less tax); higher rate taxpayers can recover a further 40 per cent if the company is wound up. For City grandees and wannabe plutocrats, the world of poor quality films has become a convenient way to pay less tax.

There’s a whole bunch of these schemes.

Some people go a little too far though. You are supposed to actually make the movie:

Although this kind of thing makes me chuckle:

(turns out they say they never screened the film and the award was swiftly withdrawn - so why give it an award in the first place? No, nothing dodgy there…)

It’s quite an interesting story:

6 Likes

Only fun part of Escape Plan was when Jim Caviezel showed up looking like he was just on a break from Person of Interest.

I guess I have to see it, or the other kids will make fun of me.

4 Likes

Sadly I haven’t seen Person of Interest so even that pleasure was denied me.

Mind you, I quite liked Vinnie Jones. A convincing portrayal of a complete tit. But then that’s not much of a stretch for Vinnie by all accounts.

Wait…these days?

Movie Franchises with too many sequels/reboots long before the 2010’s:
Back to the Future
Friday the 13th
Lethal Weapon
Rocky
Shrek
The karate Kid
Scream
Halloween
The Land Before Time
Nightmare on Elm Street
Planet of the Apes
Anything in the Batman or Superman space
Final Destination
American Pie
Saw

I suppose the point is clear…Hollywood has been doing this sort of bullshit for at least the last 30-40 years now. Not all that shocking or surprising; certainly very annoying.

7 Likes
5 Likes

Funny you’d use that gif.

Pixar is just as guilty of the same pattern. Wall-E, Up, Brave, Inside Out…all very novel stories and films with mixed results in the box office sales department. But they also dip right back into the Cars and Toy Story wells regularly.

1 Like

I mean, sure, it looks fine. Probably not $12 a ticket worthwhile for me, but little is these days. Definitely Sunday afternoon doing the laundry worth it.

Is it just me, or does anyone else want to see badass Linda Hamilton in a movie with badass Annette Benning in a feature film starring two retired female spies who get together for “one last mission” and take on hoards of baddies, a la John Wick? No? Probably just me.

12 Likes

I’d watch that.

5 Likes

Me too. Add in Helen Mirren as their former boss lady. And how about Cate Blanchette as the super bad villain former adversary?

7 Likes