Tesla cancels $16k pie order, leaves Black-owned bakery struggling

Not to mention the violent tendencies of Muskrats. Taking on Elno is a good way to get bricks thrown through your window or worse.

15 Likes

Well, orders can be cancelled. Unless you have some sort of “contract” (this could include an order form stipulating a cancellation for or deposit or something similar), then you can cancel an order. That probably wouldn’t be grounds for a lawsuit.

I don’t blame the owner for not asking for a deposit, or not having a cancellation fee. It sounds like this is a small business, and this may have been the first order of this size she’d had. She’s trying to build a business, and an order of that size is really hard to say no to, or to put conditions on. And hindsight is always 20/20. I’m glad it sounds like the community is stepping up to help her out. Elon Musk and Tesla can go eat dirt.

28 Likes

We had a bakery down the street from me get into a similar bind when Starbucks backed out of a commercial contract that they had bought new equipment to handle. No idea if the contract had a language dealing with such a cancellation, but the place closed a few months later.

8 Likes

Worse than that, his fabbois will probably start causing trouble for the bakery, calling in fake orders and such. I really hope not but I expect the worst.

10 Likes

Jeff Bezos has an interplanetary dildo musk can unfuck himself with …

8 Likes

What if the order was placed in bad faith with no intention to follow through on payment? Is there no recourse for that situation?

4 Likes

Well…bad faith would be hard to prove. There is something called promissory estoppel, though. That basically says that if someone has made a promise to someone else, and then that person reasonably relies on that promise and acts accordingly, and then that promise is broken, the harmed party can sue for damages, even without a written contract. So, in this case, Tesla “promises” to buy all these pies from this bakery. If it is reasonable that the bakery then, relying on that “promise,” invests a bunch of money in ingredients and equipment to fulfil that order, they might be able to sue to recover that money spent. And I think it probably is reasonable. I mean, if one person called and ordered a pie, and then called a day later and canceled the order, the bakery probably (a) didn’t suffer any significant harm, and (b) it probably wouldn’t have been reasonable for them to buy a second oven to bake one pie. But here, with a big order from a large, well known corporation, I think a jury would probably find that the bakery was reasonable in relying on that order to justify whatever money they spent to fill that order. On the other hand, if Tesla could show that most bakeries have a cancellation policy or require a deposit for large orders, and this bakery didn’t, then there’s an argument that it wasn’t reasonable. Like most things in the law…it depends.

12 Likes

That was my first reaction, based on stories like this involving Tesla:

Performative actions are a common reaction from companies trying to clean up their reputation without spending much time or money.

7 Likes

Update to the story is a vague promise to make things right. And a tour of the Tesla factory, i really hope they tell him to get bent

As of Thursday, the company did not pay Rasetarinera for the pies but offered her a tour of the factory.

9 Likes

Musk: “I won’t give you money, but you may bask in my glory. What more do simple peons such as yourself need?”

9 Likes

Musk: If you want to get paid i’ll need some complements. In fact can you post them on Xitter?

7 Likes

Good to see things ends “well”… But I still would love Elon “P3d0 Guy” Musk being gangpied as the “clown” he is

This sounds more like an evil overlord calling a innocent on his way to a travel through his base…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.