Tesla cancels $16k pie order, leaves Black-owned bakery struggling

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/23/tesla-cancels-16k-pie-order-leaves-black-owned-bakery-struggling.html

15 Likes

My wife also owns a small bakeshop, and sometimes gets large commercial orders (not this large, but for her, large.) She always requires 50% up front, nonrefundable. Even if they ghost her, which has happened a time or two, the deposit at least covers the ingredients and some of the time. Still sucks, though. This is just another example of terrible PR work on Tesla’s part.

75 Likes

Tesla again being Team “this is why we can’t have nice things”.

19 Likes

placed an order for 4,000 pies, amounting to $16,000, intended for a company event commemorating Black History Month.

So did they decide not to celebrate Black History Month? Why cancel suddenly? Did someone accidentally let Musk hear about it?

27 Likes

For these kinds of huge orders i definitely would either draft up a contract and put in a cancellation fee, or charge some amount up front as a deposit like you mentioned. My opinion of the company is already rock bottom but i guess we’re digging down until we hit bedrock.

30 Likes

Yes. I don’t want to victim blame, but most successful business owners I meet (and I sell privately held companies for a living) are very cautious about extending credit like this.

This can’t be the whole story. But then again, not the first time a company gets over its skis in trying to accommodate big client only to be f*cked.

13 Likes

OH yeah, that is good practice for any business who would be out a lot of money/time/energy if a large order was cancelled.

13 Likes

Musk should be hitted by all those pies on his face.

As the 'clown" he is

I apologize any clown on this community

14 Likes

I hope this negative attention pressures Tesla to do the right things and pay this business. $16K is just the pennies found behind the coffee machine for them.

23 Likes

I have little hope of that… Musk will use this as evidence that he’s being unfairly attacked and maligned and his fanbois will do the work of trying to push that narrative for him… in their mistaken belief that dear leader loves them and will share his hoards of wealth with them if they do his bidding.

GOD, I fucking hate this timeline.

30 Likes

I’m glad the community is stepping up.

Watch Musk take credit for this.

Raseterinera says since she made that post, she’s been selling out of pies every day and even getting requests from across the country.

32 Likes

They ordered them for Musk’s supporters, and learned last minute it was six thousand sock puppets.

18 Likes

Also, Tesla: just pay for the fucking pies and freeze them. Pi Day is less than a month away. Aren’t you all supposed to be nerds or something?

28 Likes

So their PR department works as well as their automobiles. Mostly fine, but occasionally veers off course and bursts into flame.

25 Likes

Can’t stop until you hit magma :confused:

13 Likes

That could have been a messy party.

10 Likes

Sounds like there was a third party contractor in the middle that may have caused some of this.

2 Likes

Assumes facts not in evidence.

12 Likes

If they have a written order then they should file a lawsuit.

1 Like

Small business vs ego driven billionaire? Not worth it. Legal costs alone would be horrifying. Even taking it on contingency, with the $$ in question, probably not worth it. We’ve looked onto that when my wife’s business got stiffed, and it was rapidly made clear it would only be worth it for the spite. The legal system is not meant to protect the little guy.

23 Likes