Tesla driver attempts to fill car with gasoline

In all honesty it seems like something i might do, on one of my better days.

I’ll see your Muttley and raise you one Batman:

Once I was filling up and the older person at the car next to me asked how to find the gas cap. I wondered exactly this, if a servant had been doing it all along, though mire likely a family member had always done it.

2 Likes

I knew it worked with elephants, anyway…

1 Like

Or the car was new. I got stuck finding the reverse in my new VW some months back. Its always the things you don’t expect to have a problem with, that you don’t ask about.

3 Likes

No, older Buick or something I’d associate with my grandparents’ generation. Cap was behind the rear license plate and unscrewed counterclockwise as many of us might expect.

2 Likes

I meant new to him. It could be the older Buick which he bought for some reason.

1 Like

:musical_score: They’ll say ‘Aww Topsy’ at my autopsy. :musical_note:

3 Likes

Or perhaps a really not-so-good car thief!

2 Likes

How did she decide which side to stop on?

4 Likes

I remember a rental car decades ago that had the fuel door release button in the glove compartment. At least it became apparent when looking for the owner’s manual. This was when rentals were all American cars. Like Tesla.

3 Likes

You would presume wrong. Even though the station would have the power, they wouldn’t have the necessary charging apparatus.

Same in the U.S.

I know this is snake oil. Electronics have a given amount of magic smoke in them, and once it escapes, your crap gadget is done and you have to buy a new one.

1 Like
8 Likes

It just takes a simple GPO to enable slow charging. The same outlet which would be used for vacuum cleaners, etc.

1 Like

maybe she likes diesel too

The other weird one is old Jaguar XJs, which have two fuel tanks, one on each side, with a separate filler cap and a lever in the car to switch between them.

It’s not unknown for drivers unfamiliar with this to run out of fuel immediately after filling up because the tank they filled isn’t the one in use.

4 Likes

An engineering anti pattern if ever there was one. Its cool to have that lever, like in a 747, but all you need is one pipe to link the two tanks.

2 Likes

I once was told this feature was included in order to lend some credibility to the old “Oh no - it appears we have run out of petrol. What shall we do to pass the time until the AA man comes along, darling?” routine.

5 Likes

The answer of course being:

“You’re going to walk the 20 miles to the nearest telephone kiosk to call the AA RAC (it is a Jag after all), while I enjoy the contents of the picnic hamper you so thoughtfully brought which strangely seems to contain nothing but oysters and champagne”.

4 Likes

Now this reminds me of Bob Newhart’s failed attempt to seduce Maggie Smith in Hot Millions (1968).

(He drives a Jensen Interceptor and doesn’t pretend to run out of petrol, but it’s hilarious. And the whole dialogue is “performed” by the various traffic signs they pass, the actor’s wordless reactions, and the music by Laurie Johnson.)

3 Likes