Tesla is on the way to becoming the MyPillow of cars

Electric cars have always been a terrible solution to our environmental problems between the ewaste problem and the fact that - as infrequent contributor Cory Doctrow puts it - geometry hates cars. Add the opportunity costs and part of that Telsa money going to kill railway projects, and I’m a lot less impressed with Tesla owners’ good intentions.

13 Likes

Maybe just get an anti-glare, “Fuck Musk” bumper sticker?

@Otherbrother Thanks for two LOLs on this thread.

11 Likes

Beau had a great video about how the military moving to an electric base vehicle would probably have that kind of effect - emulation of the military to cultivate that macho image might move some people to electric who would otherwise be opposed.

12 Likes

A Saturn Electra? :smiley:

4 Likes

Being the most popular electric car among right wing dead-enders while despised by progressive early adopters does not sound like a lucrative business.

10 Likes

Along those same lines, I noticed a while back that the US park service started using a lot of electric and hybrid sedans in their vehicle fleets, including in some of their parks around the Sierras. Which is great, because a lot of people seem to be in the mindset that you need a giant SUV or truck with off-road tires just to go on a simple camping trip. (Or, in many cases, if you ever aspire to go camping some day but in reality never do.)

16 Likes

A pefectly fine slogan for Browning in 1944, for example.

11 Likes

I bet someone could turn a GM EV600 frame into a nice RV.

11 Likes

The only plus they have going is their charger network/tech but that’s not going to hold the competition at bay.

10 Likes

I’m not sure about this. Teslas are quite recognizable as luxury cars, so there are people that want to buy or lease one to show off they have a luxury car because they have teh bling.

4 Likes

that’s always been my top item. especially when there are reasonable alternatives to tesla that don’t involve the racist and sexist working conditions

side note: saw a brand new tesla last night, new enough for temporary plates, and its front left headlight was out. how does that even happen? and i’m sure it’s not cheap to fix

16 Likes

the it crowd chris odowd GIF

13 Likes

They finally became profitable with selling carbon offset credits to polluters.

If their car sales go down- so do the derivative income sources.

16 Likes

But in areas like California they’re incredibly common (over 120,000 new Teslas were registered here just last year) so they’re definitely not as exclusive or special as they once were for a status symbol. People who want to show off are buying things like Polestars, Rivians, or Porsche Tycans.

13 Likes

Hmmmm…

6 Likes

Just a bumper sticker “I believe in electric, Musk is an a-hole”.

8 Likes

Beat me to it!

3 Likes

He’s certainly more like Henry Ford than I originally thought.

14 Likes
5 Likes

You could put a “Fuck Elon” sign in the rear window to reassure other drivers. Unfortunately, if word gets back to the chief twit, there is a non-zero chance that you get banned from your own vehicle.

23 Likes