Tesla sues California over coronavirus factory closure

Power and influence are what determines how the law is written. Always have been. A single billionaire can have more impact to influence the law than millions of working-class people put together.

Take away Musk’s incredible wealth and power and he ceases to be someone worth examining at all.

15 Likes

He has his drive, which jump-started electric cars and the planet’s space capacity to new levels.

You have 5 years to close this thread.

7 Likes

There is no other possibility!:eight_spoked_asterisk:

:eight_spoked_asterisk: (Well I guess there is one but I’m hoping the other’s what you meant)

1 Like

Thank you. In these dismal times we all need a good belly laugh.

Well done.

10 Likes

Musk, channeling Bender: “I’ll open my OWN Tesla factory, with blackjack. And hookers! In fact, forget the Teslas!”

13 Likes

For some reason I think he already did that… :thinking:

2 Likes

The people at Compliance Week seem to think it isn’t that cut-and-dried:

1 Like

Yeah, the terse statement implies Musk has inside, non-public information why the stock price is too high.

Unfortunately, the current chair of the SEC is a guy who can most charitably be described as “not Trump’s worst appointment.” The highlight of his Wikipedia page, which I assume he wrote himself, is that he was captain of the Cambridge University basketball team.

4 Likes

is this really a diversification play, or is it a scheme to ensure more sales of black gold for the foreseeable future?

Did you get this part: " These “unfettered” billionaires, who in fact rely totally on bureaucratic, legislative, and Federal Reserve largess have the political power to force market discipline on the vast majority of us, while removing themselves from any discipline, legal or market induced."?

They have the power to not be prosecuted, to have formerly illegal activities legalized, and to thumb their nose at the rest of us while being utter parasites. They are not wealth creators, they are wealth transferring entities and people. They will continue to use their vast political and legal power to keep transferring the world’s wealth to themselves no matter how many of us are reduced to being working, or worse, non-working poor.

It’s the feudal world returned if they get their way, and they seem to have a 40 year jump on the rest of us.

5 Likes

You say [billionaires] are not wealth creators, but they got their money because they offered something that people valued and used.
Bezos built the most reliable, trusted and diverse on-line store in history, making customers better off.
Gates, Jobs, and Musk are the same. They got rich by giving real value. Millions of people swapped hard cash for these guy’s products or services because they thought they would be better off, and they did it for decades.
They may be awkward or nasty or clueless outside their field, but criminal? Don’t water down actual criminality with personal or political dislikes.

1 Like

Tesla has operated in the red every year of its existence. Its value is in the capitalization, so I think it is more accurate to call them wealth shifters than wealth creators.

Gates, Jobs, and Musk are the same. They got rich by giving real value. Millions of people swapped hard cash for these guy’s products or services because they thought they would be better off, and they did it for decades.

Cumulative sales of Teslas over the company’s lifetime is not yet a million.

It is insulting to Gates and Jobs to put them in the same class as Musk.

2 Likes

Musk was also involved in PayPal.

Yes, his company merged with the owners of PayPal and almost immediately he was deposed as CEO. That’s exactly the same thing as actively helping to create the personal computer industry.

3 Likes

He has the wealth to pay people to do his bidding. Wealth is not drive. His wealth bought Tesla.

The drive is found in the engineers that aren’t allowed to smoke cannabis nor flout SEC regulations.

3 Likes

I tried to come up with a “triumph of the will” joke but it wasn’t worth it

As monopolists.

Cripes, what is so hard to understand that selling something in a free and fair market enhances value for everyone involved (not everyone, but everyone involved). Selling as a monopolist enhances the monopolist at extreme cost to everyone else.

Gates engaged in illegal anti-market practices and through sheer political/economic power managed to get it ignored. Bezos is the king of monopoly power. These guys stifle competition, buy out competitors, and concentrate market power, always working against market forces rather participating in the marketplace.

I don’t give a shit that they acquired their wealth selling products to people. They did it in a way that transferred wealth to themselves while pulling out the ladder to potential competitors.
They are thieves.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.