Texas A&M recruited a black University of Texas professor. After "DEI hysteria" from the right, they let her know she wasn't welcome.

I’m on the way to Canada and know the best river crossing points on both the St. Claire and Detroit rivers. For final exit, of course. :wink:

18 Likes

It’s mindboggling how these assholes produce what sounds like inclusive language but design the details and use it to stifle learning, history and speech. Is the argument that if you teach that slaveowners in the US were white, you are de facto teaching that they are inferior based on their race? Or is the argument that racism is a political and religious belief and thus can’t be questioned?

13 Likes

First rule of “On Tyranny”. Do not obey in advance.

8 Likes

You forgot to mention that specifically, the Rudder Association’s Dr. Matthew Poling blocked her. He is a physician and College Station, l and unsurprisingly, white

2 Likes

Aren’t all those conservative dog whistles?

Loyalty – the thin blue line

Integrity – invoking moral principles when convenient

Excellence – privilege-blind meritocracy

Leadership – imposing your will on everyone else

Selfless Service – unconditional obedience

Respect – unconditional deference to authority

From Hong Kong:

14 Likes

Pick me up on your way by!

Sandra Bullock Girl Power GIF by Bounce

16 Likes

Yeah, I can’t think of any punishment that would feel remotely adequate for the people who are destroying the world, and that wouldn’t be too horrible for anyone to have to do to them. :frowning:

14 Likes

My imagination is… daunting.

14 Likes

MadLibrarian joins the chat I have an unabridged dictionary to smack every MF who’s tried to ban books because they don’t care for them.

“Looks like we got ourselves a convoy!”

18 Likes

Combine medical training with wood carving skills and you can get… interesting… places. Also a master of composting, so there is that!

Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF

10 Likes

Wait for me!

better late than never running GIF by NBC

15 Likes

You are correct, of course. I think that when many of us say negative things about Texas, we are actually referring to the state government of Texas. We need to be more clear about who we are blaming.

Same goes for Florida.

You’re also correct about the gerrymandering. Texas and Florida are supposedly the two most gerrymandered states, hence their rapid descent into dystopia in spite of what their residents want.

11 Likes

Oh, ffs!
What the hell can’t the Board of Regents manage to screw up?
As noted, the BoR are all good ol’ boy political appointees by Gov. Abbott. They used their review to torpedo a solid offer at the university level and play backroom politics.

After a point, the University has little actual say when the BoR decides to get involved. I’m reminded of more than a few initiatives where they polled the students for support, got a resounding “Hell no!” and then did it anyways.

That’s not to say that it’s not a problem so much as the central problem that holds A&M back from having nice things. No amount of effort on improving campus culture and scholarship can really have any ambition so long as BoR gets to backroom veto it.

7 Likes

Wow, it’s almost as though they’re not actually worried that fragile students will feel guilty for racism that happened in the past, but instead worried that well educated students will hold them accountable for the racism they’re perpetuating right now.

8 Likes

They’re not really anyone involved in actually running the university. They don’t have day jobs there. They’re focused on scoring political points with Abbott, who they owe their posts to.

I went there for 11 years, had multiple occasions to meet each of the Presidents and the Chancellor. I have never seen a Regent. I even worked for the Trust that handles all the largest donors. Regents do not know, see, or care about students.

8 Likes

Then make that shit clear, always. I live in the south, and am really fucking tired of people unable to parse the difference between a fascist movement, and someone just living here.

19 Likes

What’s that in earthworms?

12 Likes

I’m a graduate of Texas A&M. My mom texted me about this story earlier today. She’s beyond disappointed and disgusted, as am I. But I stopped wearing my Aggie ring years ago because of shit like this. It’s always been a conservative school, and they’ve always had some controversies crop up from time to time that could usually be traced to that conservatism, but there were also always more liberal and progressive students and faculty there, even though we were definitely in the minority. But the last few years have gotten ridiculous. Just last year, if I remember correctly, the school newspaper, the Battalion, was stripped of its editorial independence and forced to cease print publication by the Board of Regents. They gave a lot of lip service to costs and the changing landscape of journalism, but the truth was that the Battalion always leaned a little too left of far right (it definitely was never progressive) for the BoR. Anyway, just so everyone knows, the student body, while, again, definitely more conservative than most universities, is still a lot less conservative than the university leadership or Texas political leadership. There was even an effort to make it harder for students to vote in 2020 by moving the early voting location in Brazos County from its traditional location in the student center of A&M to an off campus location. You can guess why.

12 Likes

The ironic thing about that is that General James Rudder was, by the standards of 1950s and 60s Texas, remarkably progressive. He was appointed President of A&M assuming he would hold to tradition and keep the school a relatively small, all-male military institution. Instead, he opened enrollment up to both women and people who did not want to join the Corps of Cadets. Had he not done that, A&M would be Texas’s version of the Citadel rather than one of the largest universities in the country. The Citadel had to be sued to let women in. A&M did not.

9 Likes

Count me in, if you’ll have me.

8 Likes