Texas A&M recruited a black University of Texas professor. After "DEI hysteria" from the right, they let her know she wasn't welcome.

14 Likes

Because fuck you metric system!

Canadian Lol GIF

9 Likes

I can bring trail mix.

5 Likes

“Demons run when a good man goes to war
Night will fall and drown the sun
When a good man goes to war.

14 Likes

Was going to ask the same!
I don’t have battle skills, but I could be the camp cook on the road. You warriors will need to eat.

11 Likes

This is all absolutely true. Though I am not willing to let the president escape some of the responsibility for how this prof was treated.

15 Likes
5 Likes

I think I’m the last stop before you, for those coming from either east or west coast. Perfect meet-up spot.

11 Likes

I call shotgun bumper!

8 Likes

If we can add one more to the convoy, I’m pretty handy at fixing things and an experienced hiker/camper that would be happy to help the caravan as I’m able.

10 Likes

I work in Texas and currently collaborate with several Texas A&M professors and the D&I reps for the project are TAMU faculty. It makes for really strange dissonance, with messages about how can we increase diversity in research one day and messages about how we might have to strip our DEI statements from the website the next because of the extreme restrictions coming from the state government and TAMU Board of Regents.

Texans will continue to fight against this shit but its a scary time right now

11 Likes

There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man. Patrick Rothfuss

16 Likes

What I’m 100% convinced of is that so many people will be removing DEI statements and then continuing to do said work under the table. I’ve worked with too many of them. Some of them may seem like they’d be unlikely supporters, but the number of people who are quietly, resolutely all-in on improving things might surprise people. They just will be doing it while avoiding the Regents’ attention.

Reminds me of my mentor. He’s an old-guard engineer and NASA vet. Some older profs were complaining about “all these new foreigners and women,” and he just straight up told them to shove it because “We’ve been wasting too much talent for too long to let some hidebound old coots drag us backwards.”

13 Likes

We may need several buses. Tools and stuff. And a chuckwagon.

I’m in.
I have… skills. Life skills. Other skills.

And I am good at making [most] people laugh.

Working on achieving escape velocity from Tejas as we speak.

12 Likes

I have a garage full of tools, so, yeah, we need a convoy.

13 Likes

Certainly. Those of us in Texas education that care about DEI will continue working forward despite this, but I think that somewhat misses the point.

One of the big problems of DEI work is that most of it falls on women and BIPOC and the work is often unpaid and unrecognized, which exacerbates existing discrepancies. Hiding it means the work will be even less recognized in payment and promotion. That is a big problem.

16 Likes

Yep. But hey, they can do the hard work, and then some white dudes can take credit if we don’t turn into a fascist dictatorship… so… WIN/WIN right?!? /s

It really frustrates me how little some people understand how this stuff works and who ends up hurt along the way. As you note, the work of fixing this shit is gonna fall back on marginalized people once again, who will get very little credit for whatever work they do to fix it. That is, if things don’t go south…

13 Likes

And then some good ol’ boy will notice and get them fired. Which will no longer be illegal, since the DEI program was shitcanned.

6 Likes

This is beyond fucked up, but not surprising, given the makeup of the Board of Regents and the christofascist nature of the Czar & Politboro of Texas…

What the fuck is it going to take for the media to call these bastards what they are:
FASCISTS!

When I was there, the Aggie Code of Honor was paramount:
“An Aggie does not lie, cheat, or steal, or tolerate those who do.”
Rick Perry is an Aggie, yet worked for the likes of Lord Dampnut, so…

Why?

While I would be happy if they killed each other off, that ain’t how it would work.
Believe it or not, the majority of Texans aren’t fascists, nor do we all ride horses and own oil wells. Hell, I don’t even have a pair of boots.

Christofascists are running the place, even though they have opposition from residents in the major cities. It’s not something that happened overnight… they’ve been at it for at least the past 30 years.

It’s doubtful the wind would cooperate.

Good for you! As for me, I’m pretty much stuck here, but as an Old White Dude, I can pass as a MAGAt, which can be useful for infiltration purposes…

7 Likes

Count me in.

9 Likes