Texas GOP's new platform: Biden isn't pres, ban trans healthcare, repeal Voting Rights Act

We ignore the past at our peril.

20 Likes

And there’s much else besides: forced prayer, forced birth, forced speech, and all the other things you might find in the far-right wish list for American life.

Like freedom? /s

9 Likes

Yes, I have the same argument every time someone says we “should have let the Confederacy secede so they wouldn’t be our problem anymore.”

If you think that the plight of 19th Century people who had the misfortune of being born into slavery or 21st Century women who had the misfortune of being born in Texas shouldn’t concern us then you’re not really a “progressive” in any meaningful sense.

28 Likes

Which will matter only as long as demographics do. Or, perhaps more accurately, as long as voter demographics don’t dominate voter numbers.

6 Likes

All the more reason to keep pushing Texas towards the blue column now. The dirty tricks Republicans use to disenfranchise voters they don’t like are a lot harder to implement when the Republicans are denied the majorities they need to enact those policies.

20 Likes

What was the fascination about JFK showing up? So they could assassinate him again?

6 Likes

16 Likes

Texan gerrymandering could possibly get around that, but the resulting map would look something like a Jackson Pollock painting.

3 Likes

It’s probably something about LBJ and the Civil Rights Act. I’m not going to go down the rabbithole to verify it though.

8 Likes

Not if we have a provision against gerrymandering that is pretty explicit about how you can and can’t redistrict. Redistricting should be non-partisan, with districts adhering strictly to the VRA with regards to racial packing. Anything other than that is anti-democratic (small d).

17 Likes

Well then, people with these savior complexes need to own this fact. Every woman in the United States is about to lose the right to own their own bodily autonomy because the rest of us are tied to a bunch of dumb-assed states like Texas. That’s the ACTUAL PRICE of this absurdly self-defeating form of “progressive” you just claimed … millions and millions more people whose lives are made worse by these conservative states.

We’ve spent a century and a half trying it your way. Time to get people to move and cut our losses. These conservative freaks just don’t want to live the way we do. It’s time to accept it.

1 Like

And Hitler will stop after getting the Sudetenland.

No. No fucking appeasement to fascists and fascism.

28 Likes

Hey, if you want to go to war with Texas, go right ahead. Make the argument. Because the thing we apparently both agree on is that they are beyond salvaging.

If you let Texas leave they will go to war with us.

By us I mean everyone to the left of Trumpism, not just the US. They have made it very clear that is the goal.

18 Likes

Once again, ignoring their goals doesn’t help us women. And it abandons women in texas. Why is THAT okay? Not to mention POC and the LGBQT+ community?

WTF are you on about?

You Get Me Yes GIF by Tristen J. Winger

You seem okay with abandoning millions of people to the hands of fascists. As @the_borderer said, appeasement DOES NOT WORK. If you think they will be satisfied with Texas, you’ve not been paying attention to what they’ve been saying and doing for YEARS now.

of course GIF

21 Likes

Some good news.
Surprised, please don’t let me down, now.

You seem to not want to own what you are insisting we do to try to save these people. Roe v. Wade GONE FOR THE REST OF US is the price. Why don’t you get that?

1 Like

I’ll mention the LGBTQ+ community

Apparently the LGBTQ+ community in Texas needs to martyr themselves in the name of peace. Fuck that.

21 Likes

Yes, they conveniently leave out little details like “the top marginal tax rate was 91%” and “one third of US workers were unionized” in 1955.

They laud the existence of a middle class in the 1950s without acknowledging why there was a middle class.

35 Likes

This is exactly the reason that the Texas Republicans are trying to remove voters from the equation.

1 Like