Texas GOP's new platform: Biden isn't pres, ban trans healthcare, repeal Voting Rights Act

Texas is becoming bluer due to immigration from professionals moving in from other states like California, and is expected to be a fully competitive swing state within a decade.

The Texas GOP reminds me of how the California GOP went rabid under Pete Wilson and his anti-latino agenda. Remember, California was the home of Nixon and Reagan, the current Democratic dominance was far from a foregone conclusion.

7 Likes

Yes.

They tried to sue to have election results in other states thrown out.

13 Likes

I am the LGBT community. I moved from the deep south because my life needed to be better in a blue state.

These places are never going to be what you want them to be. I know that first hand. Every gay person in Houston knows that first hand.

Last thing to say … until you’re willing to move to Texas and take your progressive stand in person, I call bullshit.

2 Likes

There are more Republican voters in California than in Texas and more Democratic voters in Texas than in New York. Dismissing all of Texas as a “dumb-ass state” beyond hope of redemption is a dumb move, both morally and strategically.

21 Likes

You don’t represent the entire community. And not everyone has the resources to move.

18 Likes

That has nothing to do with Texas looking to leave the union. It is already happening. That’s not going to stop if Texas leaves.

Again, the goal is not leaving the union, it’s taking over the whole country. That’s it. They’ve told us that, most recently on Jan. 6th. Letting Texas leave does nothing to stop the larger, national movement.

And YES, as a woman, I am FUCKING concerned with the Roe situation, but it’s not fixed by getting us into another civil war.

Log Cabin republicans are learning that right now.

Maybe sooner, if congress passes a voter rights law.

You’re privileged to be able to do that. It’s not true for all women or LGBQT+ people or POC.

It’s entirely possible to support progressive causes in the rest of the country without physically moving there. No one should be FORCED to live where they do not want to live, you included. But that goes the other way, too. If people want to stay in Texas, they should be able to do that, Not to mention, many people aren’t privileged enough to be able to move. :woman_shrugging: What do you suggest should happen to those people?

And BTW, part of the reason why GA is much bluer than it was, is because Black Americans moved back here, and changed the demographics of the state. Not to mention the LGBQT+ community, and the immigrant community.

19 Likes

So am I

I have my own story like that, except I found that you can’t run from hate, because it will always chase after you.

Nowhere is what I want a place to be, I became a queer anarchist because of that.

Sorry, I’m fighting my own battles on TERF Island. That doesn’t mean that the ideas of solidarity and internationalism get ignored.

31 Likes

jada pinkett smith that part GIF by Red Table Talk

16 Likes

I’m not sure anyone on the left is really thinking this is serious, or would be in any way ok with it happening. Mostly I see people using this to jab at the idiocy of the right.

2 Likes

By “this”, do you mean the Texas GOP platform? Personally, I’m quite certain that they do mean it.

10 Likes

Not now, NOT EVER.

25 Likes

Everyone thought Trump was a joke, too. :woman_shrugging: I mean, since 2016, things have been going from bad, to worse, to even worse, to the worstest. Centrists shrugging it off isn’t particularly helpful at this point.

18 Likes

Not enough people remember this. California had Republican Pete Wilson as Governor in 1999, then Schwarzenegger from 2003-2011. Texas had a Democratic Governor as recently as 1995. Pushing for progress is a constant, never-ending process, and there are no foregone conclusions when it comes to the politics of a state.

18 Likes

You seem to not want to own what you are insisting we do to save Roe: abandon millions of vulnerable people to fascists for a TEMPORARY REPRIEVE ON ROE while the fascists use Texas as a base of operations to take over the rest of the country.

Why don’t you get that?

17 Likes

I live in Texas. I take my progressive stand every day.

Yeah. Fuck that noise. My little city had our very first Pride event this weekend. It was great. All kinds of people went. The delight I saw on so many faces at feeling safe was amazing. The burly bear dude rocking a skirt. The young gay couple snuggling on the shuttle. They were kinda nervous at first. But all they got were smiles and they relaxed.

I won’t judge anyone who moves away from Texas for the safety of themself or family. But I am staying. I am working. I have a lot of privilege and I’m trying to use it to make the place I live better. Why? Because I know there are people in Texas who can’t move. They need their jobs, they need their family, they are children who can’t run away. This is worth fighting for.

Yes.

If you “let” them have Texas, it won’t stop there. It never does.

28 Likes

Anyone here, and anyone on the left. Serious as in “worth worrying that it will come to pass.”

ETA: the secession bit, specifically. Yes, the other stuff needs immediate resistance.

2 Likes

Good for you, know that you are not in this fight alone.

22 Likes

New York Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Again, I think we SHOULD be concerned, given what has already transpired in these past few years. Stuff that centrists dismissed as impossible have been shown to be entirely possible.

Season 7 Episode 10 GIF by Portlandia

17 Likes

Dunno if you are being sarcastic or not (that detector is in for it’s 18 month service), but they’ll just take and continue taking until there is nothing left of what you would recognize as a free country.

5 Likes

Again:

20 Likes