Texas governor Greg Abbott vetoes dog abuse law despite both parties supporting it

Originally published at: Texas governor Greg Abbott vetoes dog abuse law despite both parties supporting it | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Not surprised, in the least.

14 Likes

If you think that’s bad, take a look at his new campaign ad

8 Likes

Nice.

29 Likes

I get the feeling that Abbott has been hanging around the Huckabee family.

Also, for general reference when looking at Republican politicians (a lot of whom I suspect were childhood bed-wetters).

14 Likes

Don’t forget Mittens put the family dog in a crate on top of the family car…

15 Likes

Remember when Matt Gaetz cast the only vote against a human trafficking bill?

17 Likes

Not surprising.

16 Likes

Death Cult meet Pet Owners.

8 Likes

He’s also pro-child abuse

He literally hates babies and puppies

20 Likes

Weird flex…

3 Likes

I have to wonder if he’s just such a terrible person that he wanted to vote against our genetically engineered agape wolves; if this was a reflexively anti-regulatory move; or if it’s a sop to some creepy fundamentalist bloc that thinks animal welfare legislation is an attack on our god-given dominion over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

9 Likes

Can the Texas legislature override his veto?

4 Likes

They can, with a two-thirds vote in each chamber, but only if they do so before the current session ends.

Which it already has.

5 Likes

Maybe he just likes beating dogs?

I mean, turns out that’s why Matt Gaetz voted against a federal sex trafficking law.

7 Likes

It is rarely more clear that the cruelty is the point.

16 Likes

Thanks for the information. Maybe they’ll take it up again next session.

2 Likes

Removing a child from their home and putting them in the foster care system should be a last resort. I’m not sure this bill does what you think it does. It’s also unclear if Abbott did anything other than sign it.
Edit: From Austin btw, It’s an understatement to say I don’t like Abbott

2 Likes

“Senate Bill 474 would compel every dog owner, on pain of criminal penalties, to monitor things like the tailoring of the dog’s collar, the time the dog spends in the bed of a truck, and the ratio of tether-to-dog length, as measured from the tip of the nose to the base of the tail,” he said. “Texas is no place for this kind of micro-managing and over-criminalization.”

It’s Texas, it was probably the bed of the truck thing. Well, and the fact that only humans have souls. Well, Republican humans. I guess White, Republican humans.

White, Republican, Protestant humans? White Republican Protestant humans that aren’t Mormon? Sorry Mitt.

It’s all very confusing.

3 Likes

If all the people who like to hurt dogs vote for you and all the people who think that disgusting vote against you, you’ll definitely lose in a democracy. But if you are planning on a fascist reign of terror, getting the pro-dog-torturers on your side seems a shrewd starting point.

14 Likes