Texas high schoolers compete in varsity barbecue

Over here, in the UK, we need to limit our BBQs to anything you can burn to a crisp in between rain showers. :wink: Ah, the gentle pitter-patter of a British Summer.

7 Likes

Just had a wonderful “no sauce” style BBQ pit open up walking distance from the house, and I fucking love that they’re doing three distinctly different sauces on the side. Kansas City, with the mustard vinegar, Alabama with the horseradish/vinegar/creamy one, and an old fashioned tomato/molasses Texas blend.

2 Likes

Surely there are some kick ass girl BBQrs?

13 Likes

The pits are closed, actually. Imagine a metal barrel that’s hinged so you can open the top (either upright, for smaller quantities, or on its side for larger ones). And if you actually have a fire going, that’s a problem. It’s more like a smoky smolder, so you can do long stretches of smoky low heat.

You could get into it in the UK, but the. biggest problem for doing it your side of the pond would be the different kinds of wood chips, I think, since a lot of traditional woods used are north American varietals.

3 Likes

Of course, all the school BBQ textbooks will be from Texas.

3 Likes

9 Likes

That could be the one textbook that the Texas schoolbook mafia gets right. For Texas that is.

1 Like

Oh that’s an easy one…

2 Likes

It is still possible, although you have to be experimental and see what kinds of woods you can get and what kind of flavors they impart, and then try to get them to match up.

There’s a YouTube show called Best Food Review Show, with an American Ex-Pat living in Asia; doing food reviews. One of his episodes was primarily getting his friends to try American-Style BBQ, but he has a conversation with the pitmaster (who is also an Ex-Pat) who has opened his BBQ restaurant there, and they discuss the woods used, and some of the wood substitutions…

3 Likes

Lamb? Good choice!*

* according to the Australian lamb marketing board.

7 Likes

It can definitely be done in the UK but the moisture/weather is going to be a little bit of a battle but not something that’s impossible to overcome if one has the space to set up a good pit or smoker. I did see a UK youtube cooking channel where one of the guys got really into BBQing and his problem was the cold air. He ended up having to insulate his smoker because the meat wasn’t able to get to the proper temperature at first.

4 Likes

That’s the thing about good BBQ - all of it is good, IMO.
And I agree, tri-tip is awesome.
On topic of Texas style, this is our favorite local place - Grand Ole BBQ

4 Likes

I love the FACTS series: Irish people try…

2 Likes

You overlooked something. Still a bunch sexist pigs. They are very proud of “these boys”. Another club where girls aren’t considered normal.

3 Likes

And you are assuming that no girls are allowed in based on this one article about these four boys?

Saying “these boys” if in relation to the entire program or BB! challenge/contest then I would be on board…but the guy who said that is specifically referencing this BBQ team of 4 boys.

But by all means…jump to conclusions and shit on this…because why the fuck should we have nice things and be positive about anything.

2 Likes

The FACTS channel folded earlier in the year, but all of the personalities (or most of them) started a new channel :slight_smile: It’s pretty much the exact same format

3 Likes

The Facebook page indicates there are girl teams. https://m.facebook.com/HighSchoolBBQ/

3 Likes

I live in Texas and have a child in the system. I have some context.

3 Likes

No one here said girls can’t be pit masters, or that they weren’t allowed to participate in this program. Texas is proud to call a few female pit masters among the best in the country.

6 Likes

Awesome. So ALL of Texas High School BBQ is misogynist?

As @NukeML linked to show there are female teams. And my quick google search shows the top winning team and seems to me that is a young lady center stage.

Untitled-1-Recovered

6 Likes