Texas Secretary of State turns down blankets, beds and more Harvey donations, asks for prayers instead

You’ve never been to a disaster shelter before have you?

22 Likes

during katrina I remember there were trucks and trucks FULL of relief supplies parked in truck stops that could be better used for evacuee trailers as there was way more supplies then MANPOWER to deal with the supplies

5 Likes

The version my dad told us growing up I think had to do more with catching chickens or some such dinner related thing, but google turned up this relevant version of “don’t wait for god to provide what you can provide for yourself if you get up off your lazy ass”

[quote]A man was trapped in his house during a flood. He began praying to God to rescue him. He had a vision in his head of God’s hand reaching down from heaven and lifting him to safety. The water started to rise in his house. His neighbour urged him to leave and offered him a ride to safety. The man yelled back, “I am waiting for God to save me.” The neighbour drove off in his pick-up truck.

The man continued to pray and hold on to his vision. As the water began rising in his house, he had to climb up to the roof. A boat came by with some people heading for safe ground. They yelled at the man to grab a rope they were ready to throw and take him to safety. He told them that he was waiting for God to save him. They shook their heads and moved on.

The man continued to pray, believing with all his heart that he would be saved by God. The flood waters continued to rise. A helicopter flew by and a voice came over a loudspeaker offering to lower a ladder and take him off the roof. The man waved the helicopter away, shouting back that he was waiting for God to save him. The helicopter left. The flooding water came over the roof and caught him up and swept him away. He drowned.

When he reached heaven and asked, “God, why did you not save me? I believed in you with all my heart. Why did you let me drown?” God replied, “I sent you a pick-up truck, a boat and a helicopter and you refused all of them. What else could I possibly do for you?”[/quote]

3 Likes

Why YOU shouldn’t.

Not why a STATE or OFFICIAL ORGANIZATION shouldn’t.

15 Likes

Maybe he’s afraid some Canadians will try to sneak over the border with the supplies.

10 Likes

Seems dollars aren’t safe with the American Red Cross, either.

Slate also indicates that another variant on the old “You prayed so I sent you a helicopter” joke has been circulating and giving much offense:

4 Likes

And that’s why my empathy is limited in such situations.

Politicians aren’t chosen to kiss babies and shake hands but to make difficult but ultimately useful decisions for the public. If the public elects a known moron they get what they deserve.

3 Likes

7 Likes

I’m starting to think prayer doesn’t work, I start every day praying not to hear about another stupid republican asshole and no luck so far.

18 Likes

[quote=“digitalArtform, post:24, topic:107028, full:true”]
Why YOU shouldn’t.

Not why a STATE or OFFICIAL ORGANIZATION shouldn’t.
[/quote]

Many of the same arguments apply even to donations from states. The logistical cost of handing donations can easily exceed their value even if they’re what’s needed.

1 Like

I see the problem. He doesn’t want to be seen being friendly with the Frenchies.

(I’m not making it up; English speaking Canadians told me that’s what they call them)

3 Likes

I’m confused, what exactly is the reasoning behind not accepting donations of this sort? Are they well stocked on blankets? If so, surely they could use line workers and trucks. Though I don’t think him being Christian is the reason to refuse help.

Reminds me of this joke.

2 Likes

Did they tell you that in, like, 1963? Nah, Frenchies is what we call French bulldogs. Or maybe that one smoked meat and poutine place in Vancouver.

3 Likes

Vancouver, 2011. I was born in '80, so that’s a hard no on the 60’s.

Are there real logistical issues with sending a couple hundred people with technical expertise in electrical grids to help get the power up and running again? Because that was something that Pablos also turned down.

If he believes they don’t need blankets, he could say “we don’t need blankets, but we could sure use this other thing, because that’s the best way to help people right now” or “we don’t need blankets, but we could sure use money sent to these organizations, because that’s the best way to help people right now”. He didn’t say that. He said that Quebecers should pray, which, of course, helps nobody.

People in Texas need help. Others are willing to help. Maybe he should figure out how to let people help, instead of asking them to do something useless.

16 Likes

Absolutely soaked clothes + humid wind could lead to a lot of hypothermia, seems to me, even if the temperature is high.

6 Likes

I don’t even know what to say about this. It’s mind boggling and awful. Here is hoping Texans are paying attention when it comes to election time.

2 Likes

I heard someone saying as much on NPR yesterday - material donations like blankets, clothing etc are not the best thing right now, maybe in a few weeks or months. There is no dry storage, no vehicle movement because of flooded roadways. It would be foolish to turn down this help completely, because these things will be needed soon enough, and even if they are not used in post-Harvey Texas, they can be a lot closer to a needed geographic region when they are needed. The traditional peak of the hurricane season is a week away, and 93/IRMA looks like the next one.

As for the prayers, there’s no harm in saying that, but asking for prayers in lieu of assistance is pretty dense. How about thanks, and how about some prayers too, if you would?

5 Likes

I would assume those other donations wouldn’t even be delivered unless delivery were welcomed. That might be a fasle assumption, though.

One should give money, anyway.

I particularly dislike donation drives that really just drive retail business to a supermarket chain.

1 Like

The problem with money is that it can get tied up in bureaucracy and there’s no way to know how that money is going to get spent. By sending food, water, and other items people can make sure that their donations will be used appropriately. Ideally yes, money would be the best way to help.