Texas Secretary of State turns down blankets, beds and more Harvey donations, asks for prayers instead

Is charity the answer, or is equity?

Isn’t charity just a symptom of inequitable world, where most are hanging on by a thread and could need it at any time?

Of course we need it in the short term, but this can not be the only plan for eternity.

4 Likes

Asking for “thoughts and prayers” is just a polite way to tell someone you don’t need/want their material help, while offering them a way to feel they are still helping somehow. Do you people not get that? Like, “we appreciate the offer, but for now just pray for us”.

Also, why are we assuming that blankets and beds are needed in Houston? This is the USA, I’m pretty sure we can get as many blankets and beds to Houston as their needs demand without trucking them down from Canada. Do we know of a large unmet blanket shortage, or are we just knee-jerk assuming things without having any idea about the situation on the ground?

3 Likes

To be fair, I have met Christians with common sense, who knew how to handle a bad situation, and delay the prayers until that was dealt with. This guy though :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

16 Likes

cf

21 Likes

You beat me to it.

5 Likes

VgZyEgc

Obligs…

10 Likes

George Carlin prayed to Joe Pesci, " He looks like a guy who can get things done. Joe Pesci doesn’t fuck around. In fact, Joe Pesci came through on a couple of things that God was having trouble with.”

6 Likes

For all of the Texas GOP jags in Congress that voted against Sandy aid, I hope all of the reps from the northeast vote to just send prayers and not the $12 billion.

3 Likes

Let me get this straight: You want people to pray to the same God who either sent the storm in the first place or explicitly chose to allow it to happen? Do I have that right? Sounds pretty close to Stockholm Syndrome to me.

11 Likes

Blimey. I’m just impressed that they managed to fit 'em all in there.

1 Like

Sheesh, it’s not like he said something really evil like “Well bless your hearts”.

4 Likes

Some consider good works done in the name of their God to be prayer.

8 Likes

His decision has nothing to do with religion. It has to do with him Not Wanting To OWE Quebec ANYTHING down the road…it is a political move. Prayers are cheap and immaterial…material goods can Result In Him Owing A Favor to Quebec.

His personal agenda has been revealed. Screw everyone, Only My Political Career Matters!

1 Like

Well, now, FFarbian, it almost seems like you don’t appreciate how hard we’ve been working getting all that gerrymandering done, with our exciting efforts with the new Jim Crow going on at the same time.

:us::us::us::us:

Care for a jelly bean?

large_9ef826e7-f5ec-4423-98f9-d16f24ba1ed4

9 Likes

He’s appointed by the governor, but that just shows you why the governor shouldn’t be re-elected.

1 Like

That’s why I donated money to the Houston Food Bank. I could spend $10 at the grocery store and give that food to them, or they can spend the $10 and buy twice as much food wholesale and get what they know they need and not what I think they need. Plus, I also know any extra money is staying in Houston helping the most needy.

4 Likes

Armozel, that’s a little like rejecting food because some people overeat.

Don’t be so certain about the “Christian” bit. As Jesus said, "Not everybody who says ‘Lord, Lord’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. . . "

4 Likes