Texas social workers told to keep investigations of trans kids' families secret

That is bad, but it is not a pogrom.

1 Like

Hello this is the Department of Catch 22 Child and Family Destruction. You as a social worker must follow ethics. To follow ethics you must first and foremost protect your client. To do your job means keeping accurate notes of social worker client interaction. When the government decides to audit records and finds trans kids, the kids will be executed. Therefore you must lie in your charting about sessions or the kid gets terminated.
Holy Shit! This is fucking insane. You’re either going to have to keep two sets of records or put your client in mortal danger. If you get caught falsifying records, you lose your job and face potential criminal charges. Does HIPPA still have any meaning? What the fuck? Why aren’t the people of Texas going after Abbot with pitchforks and clubs? What a totally soulless piece of shit.

6 Likes

Why not?

4 Likes

Technically, Ceran is correct: a pogrom is an officially sanctioned racist riot. Canonically against Jews, but I imagine there are a whole lot of things in American which would count as Pogroms against black people.

This isn’t like that… not yet. It’s more like the slow illegalisation of Jewishness itself that led up to the Pogroms.

So, if you’re going to get technical about it, what this post is about is not a Pogrom.

It’s a necessary step towards Pogroms.

If that makes you feel any better about it.

8 Likes

remember. it’s always important to use exactly the right word, and in only its original context, rather than acknowledge why people are using a term and everything that it represents

( sarcasm not directed at you. it’s a sea of lions out there )

i can’t find the link now, but about six months ago there was a woman who quit because she was asked to “investigate” trans kids off the record

presumably, keeping it all on paper is meant to stop people from forwarding it to the press :confused:

13 Likes

Yeah, a more succinct answer would have been “You are technically correct, but you are also, in a deeper sense, wrong.”

6 Likes

Would you rather I wait until the public murders start, would that suit your fucking pedantry while my trans friends and family suffer?

Or are you going to come back with a "Well, actually… " because not enough of us are Jewish?

18 Likes

Just “sparkling genocide” I guess. :unamused:

17 Likes

That’s a great name.

10 Likes

Hey trans people, good news!!! Your rights may be taken away, you might be assaulted or killed, it might be illegal for teachers to mention your existence and so much more, but “it is not a pogrom”.
/s

16 Likes

We generally think of pogroms as riots that led to mass killings of Jews — and as something from the history books. But when you examine the historical underpinnings of pogroms like the series that swept through Russia in 1881 and 1882, the one that killed more than 400 Jews in Odesa in 1905, and the 1929 Hebron massacre, you can see a pre-social media version of Libs of TikTok’s playbook.

Pogroms are not singular events. Mass violence requires years of priming an audience to believe that a vulnerable minority is in fact an enormous danger to the majority. Early stage pogroms tend to target property. As time passes, those attacks become normalized, and then escalate into genocidal killings.

14 Likes

It’s a hallmark of liberalism, distilled into this thread. We argue and debate over definitions and minutiae while conservatives ignore all that crap and burn the world down.

15 Likes

The fuck it’s not; don’t be a Niemöller, yo.

13 Likes

Welcome to another episode of “The Indigenous People’s Experience”

12 Likes

Exactly my thought

13 Likes

“I wish I could give them zero stars.”

6 Likes

How about this then?

If you want to argue over the correct words, then you are part of the problem. I’m tired of having to be nice to my abusers and their enablers.

16 Likes

Compare with what is happening in your state or country.

10 Likes

Yep.

“Wait, that person didn’t murder your spouse. It was homicide. Feel better?”

10 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.