Thanksgiving Prep and Troubleshooting

OK, clearly this was an in-joke between a group of old friends. Was it a contest to see who could bring the weirdest, most yech-inspiring dish?

6 Likes

My favorite is the pumpkin pie with the keys baked into it.

ā€œHey, has anybody seen my keys?ā€
ā€œYeah, check the pumpkin pie.ā€

3 Likes

ā€¦ I hate you so so much.

3 Likes

Is this not like the funniest pic ever?

3 Likes

I thought it must have been a key lime pie. Had no idea how that linked to thanksgiving.

3 Likes

A twist on the car keys in the punchbowl game?

3 Likes

I am laughing so fuckinā€™ hardā€¦ Where did you find this???

5 Likes

I sent this to my mom. She told me grandmother baked a green turkey one year. I am finding out details and will report back when the investigation concludes.

6 Likes

Way back when I was much younger and did Cacophony Society things MrsTobinL and I hosted a regrettable food party. Nobody would touch the Spam, but the tuna noodle casserole I made was passable mostly cause I used the french fried onions stuff instead of potato chips.

3 Likes

ok, fellow specimens, I heard back about the green turkey.

ā€œGrandma always ordered her turkey at the meat market near the house but for some reason she bought a frozen turkey at Safeway. She thawed it baked it and then cut the thing open to serve it and it was GREEN inside! She was ā€˜fit to be tiedā€™ to use her phrase!
Safeway compensated her in some way but it spoiled her dinner thatā€™s for sure!ā€

She was from Wisconsin, so Wisconsin-isms, aka ā€œScansinā€™ā€ were always coming out of her, like ā€œfit to be tiedā€ or ā€œcome here onceā€ or ā€œheā€™s a real son of a gunā€ or ā€œIā€™ll call the police!ā€ I swear she said all those things, and more, when we were growing up. I will try to think of more. Such a dear lady and I miss her.

I just canā€™t believe the rotten turkey story. YUCK.

5 Likes

The ultimate source is MaleChef

I think that it was from last year

2 Likes

I love that tumblr.
I forget I follow it, and they donā€™t post that often, so thereā€™ll Iā€™ll be scrolling away through my Hiddles.gifs and Supernatural.gifs and then random gross food itemā€¦ always jarring. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

CASE IN POINT!

8 Likes

My mom sent me a ton more Scansin-isms from Grandma. I need to start a new thread on local flavors of languageā€¦ the stuff she sent me was pure gold. Apparently AIDS-FREE TIGER BLOOD runs in my family, cuz my grandmotherā€™s veins and arteries were overflowing with it.

3 Likes

Needs a kielbasa cabin, but that is a wonderful holiday edible arrangement.

4 Likes

Aww, but heā€™s CUTE!!!

1 Like

We need this tree to go with him!

5 Likes

I had to abandon this thread due to an unscheduled trip, but I think you should know that I just emailed your recipe to myself. Iā€™m a fiend for pea soup, but I havenā€™t eaten a land animal since the early 80ā€™s (I was 11, Iz old, but not that oldz). I should be able to try this even after the kitchen demo starts in about a week.

Iā€™m not in the habit of photographing my food (bad at remembering to document projects, too), but Iā€™m happy to report that the key lime cheesecake was a success. I will definitely make it again, and make some minor adjustments to intensify the lime flavor a bit. Also ended up making some muffin tin-sized pumpkin pies with the leftover pie filling, and they were more popular than the main pie. Yay! Used cinnamon graham crackers for the crusts. I never made a crust before last Thursday, but it worked. The smoked turkey was well eaten by those who eat bird, my silly green bean casserole came out as expected, mashed potatoes got parsley instead of cheese, and my SO made some cheesy serrano corn bread which was quite good with less heat than you might expect.

@awjt: Please produce that list because, I canā€™t say Iā€™ve heard your grandmaā€™s phrases before. What part of the state did she live in?

3 Likes

Iā€™ll be happy to get any feedback or suggestions on it.

If you want some specific proportions, I jotted them down when I made it over Thanksgiving and could add them, but youā€™re an enthusiastic cook and should be able to wing it perfectly well from what I wrote above. Itā€™s not a terribly specific kind of recipe.

1 Like

Itā€™s a great recipe and Iā€™m going to try it.

1 Like