The artist behind these spellbinding witch hats almost stopped making them after her first one

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/13/the-artist-behind-these-spellb.html

9 Likes

wow, i LOVE them. very Tim Burton, and i mean that only in the best way – the shapes are so iconic, but quirky, and being witches hats they are of course gothy, but with a tongue stuck firmly in cheek. she does beautiful work.

20 Likes

I very much like the hats, but if I could be sure it would fit me, I’d get the cardigan and wear it at work, where the a/c is crazy high many days.

5 Likes

Very cool.

7 Likes

That sounds about right. There a lot of wool and handwork there.

13 Likes

Found 'em!!!
Th, th, the witches.
Found 'em!

7 Likes

Beautiful design and craft.

8 Likes

very cool but part of me hates anyone that can/will spend that much $ on whimsy. I need to be less bitter, those are cool hats and the artist definitely deserves to get paid.

4 Likes

they definitely capture a goodwitchy organic forest vibe, i love it.

3 Likes

I saw one of these in the wild in SF! Much simpler, just a small spiral without the crimping, & a little bell hung at the tip. More like casual woke-witch wear.

3 Likes

Beautiful hat, is it felt?

I don’t know.

touches hat

It is now.

18 Likes

:roll_eyes:

slow clap

P.s. I chuckled irl

6 Likes

Witch%20SW%20mashup

3 Likes

Also good…

4 Likes

Most of us make larger purposes with less fun and whimsy. Think of the average car or home purchase. Few of those purposes are the result of a cold utilitarian calculus of value. Rather people are swayed by aesthetic considerations to the tune of thousands of dollars.

2 Likes

Spellbinding Witch hats.”

(slow clap)

3 Likes

You must run with a different crowd than I do. Pretty much everyone I know buying houses or cars are making decisions that are the result of cold utilitarian calculus of value. But yeah if I see someone driving a Hummer, I tend to draw certain conclusions about them.

2 Likes

I doubt they are. I run with a pretty low end crowd and very few of them purchased the absolute minimum house or vehicle they could get away with. Most purchased somewhere in the middle or high end of their budget. You’ll almost never hear someone say they could live in the gated community, but the starter apartment is big enough, but you’ll regularly hear people say that if they tighten their belt a little they can stretch for the nicer house. The fact that average American house sizes have grown as family size fell over the last few decades seems to support that.

2 Likes

I imagine that while some of the purchasers are driven by whimsy, a significant number of the purchasers of these hats will wear them to events and rituals in earnest. They appear to be quite lovely and would be the envy of any Witch at the Witch’s ball or festival.

If you want a good Witch’s Hat (because you are a Witch), then you have two choices, basically: get a costume hat at Halloween, which is normally very poor quality, or get a well-made custom hat, which gets really expensive really fast. The $350 quoted is quite reasonable for the well-made custom hat route. There are very, very few hats mass produced to this pattern that are suited to actual wear, because the demand for something better than a costume hat is so low.

3 Likes

Huh. My actual knowledge of real witches is pretty limited I guess. I just assumed they didn’t actually dress like storybook witches.

3 Likes