The “Atheist Street Pirates” remove illegal religious signs from Los Angeles streets

I understand what you are doing, so I will not point out the blind spot :wink:

That would be me. I’ve told you. What was your point again now that I’ve done so? Or did you just feel like levelling ad-hominems at a whole group of people (well, two) was contributing to the conversation in some way?

11 Likes

This is from an anonymous tweet, not my own words, but this about sums it up:

Yeah, those atheists wearing their atheist necklaces and atheist earrings and building gigantic atheist monuments and congregating to yell out loud how much they love atheism and going around the world to different countries to tell people they should be atheist and making sculptures of the first atheist and painting pictures of the first atheist and screaming to random strangers how they love atheism. Yeah. It’s atheists who do that.

12 Likes

Worse yet, til some of them apparently may freely identify as atheists at house parties! They ought to keep that secret, no one needs to know they’re there. :dotted_line_face:

4 Likes

It’s really only like 8 athiests that are famously assholes, and the problem with them is, let’s face it, not their atheism

7 Likes

Please can I help you not be a billionaire?

*by you giving me money, not by me, like, murdering you or anything.
I made this weird.
Damn.

11 Likes

Ah, but then I would no longer be a person with a billion dollars!

(I was wondering when someone call me out on that :joy:. The rest, I stand by)

3 Likes

Well, I play games but not with hearts, I’m cute when I want to be, hopefully I’m not any danger of the -path kind and nowhere near being a billionaire.

I don’t care what people believe or don’t as long as they’re not assholes about it.

Rock On Mic Drop GIF by Bridge and Tunnel on EPIX

10 Likes

If religious people and atheists are always proselytizing, who are the ones keeping their mouths shut?

1 Like

can’t win if you don’t play :wink:

3 Likes

RonReagan

5 Likes

In my experience, nearly all fanatical zealots are obnoxious and tedious to deal with, regardless if the source of their overzealousness is food, religion, politics, sports, etc.

And that includes the people who go out of their way to throw shade at such zealots.

9 Likes

Look Here Reaction GIF by Paul McCartney

7 Likes

Government could fund adequate community spaces and social programs that churches now provide. Until that time, the primary purpose of church signage to me is less about finding religion than it is finding your AA meeting, girl guide troupe, small community food bank, choir practice, Amnesty International meeting, or a safe place to go indoors and warm up. Of course I don’t know your area and who pays for that signage, what it looks like, or whether they also post signage for other places of worship.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m definitely not trying to deny that there are atheist assholes, but it certainly feels like they’re being held to a higher standard than their religious counterparts. Maybe they should be, as it’s extra disappointing seeing people who are supposedly famous for their critical thinking skills engaging in rampant misogyny and the like. I remember I used to like Michael Shermer until he spent the entirety of Trump’s presidency utterly ignoring Trump and instead focusing on how terrible college “cancel culture” is.

But seeing that resentment of their dickishness pointed at atheists taking down Jesus-themed litter in their own community doesn’t sit well with me. Christians are always jamming a promotion of their religion into every good deed they do, but it’s not okay for atheists to identify themselves and promote the idea that religion isn’t necessary to contribute positively to one’s community (and in fact is actively harming said community, in this case?)

4 Likes

Oh no, I agree totally that what these guys are doing, what the Temple of Satan is doing and things like that are fine.

The guys I have a problem with are the big celebrity atheists who frequently cause non-belief to get mixed up with their misogyny, racism, islamophobia, and being Bill Maher.

5 Likes

Not all of them. How about we stop assuming that a group of people represents the whole across the board?

I’m okay with that. I’m not okay with people using ANYTHING to justify their bigotry and misogyny. I’m just sick of bigotry and misogyny being okay and I’m going to speak out about it wherever it’s found. If that makes me an asshole, then I’ll be an asshole. I’m just sick of this day in and day out. It’s exhausting.

5 Likes

Well, at some point in time they were.

We don’t know that. They can’t tell us one way or the other. For all we know they are all born with a fervent belief in Summat (that well-known Yorkshire deity) but their faith fades as their language skills develop. Likewise animals - I like the idea of a Great Dog that all dogs believe in, who is the ultimate source of biscuits and all good doggy stuff. Cats just believe that they are a deity.

1 Like

4 Likes