The “Atheist Street Pirates” remove illegal religious signs from Los Angeles streets

And they’ve done real harm too. By positioning things like libertarian ideals and right leaning social philosophers alongside debates about evolution, etc where anti-evolution is patently ridiculous. Leaders in science and technology kind of made this worse that way too. This truly is part of how we “got here.”

6 Likes

I don’t remember seeing an atheist go around with special atheist jewelry bumper stickers, or incorporating atheist iconography or sayings into unrelated business advertising, or insisting everyone stand around and look serious while they spout a few words to no one in particular, or talk about their favorite atheist in political ads, or knock on my door to talk about Harry Potter.

But hey. Maybe you just live in a different reality than me.

10 Likes

You should toss them into the air and let Jesus distribute them for you.

2 Likes

Yep.

15 Likes

Atheist Street Pirates. They’re doing God’s work here.

10 Likes

actually, i have nothing against either, really. while i’m a vegetarian, i do eat vegan now and again, and i like it. atheism, on the other hand, meh. i get it, but it’s not exactly me.

I remember. There’s an important lesson there for every organization…take a stand against the bigots, or watch them drive out everyone else. You can’t accept both.

12 Likes

I think that most atheists are just getting on with life, not doing religion is not so much their thing as simply doing other stuff is.

OTOH some are annoyingly in your face - those are the ones you notice

4 Likes

Lets Go Reaction GIF

11 Likes

Recalling the nazi bar analogy, Big Atheism is a bar that isn’t a nazi bar but damn do a lot of nazis like to go there.

8 Likes

When I clean up the signs (I do it regularly). I leave the local ones. I leave yard sales and missing pets/persons. But if somebody has a yard sale and doesn’t take the signs down after the sale is over, I note it. And I never let them have another one.

2 Likes

I dunno. A lot of the atheism stuff feels like religion for people that don’t believe in God. Personally, I just don’t believe in God (or anything else supernatural). It’s not an identity

(Then again, I try not to make anything my identity. I am a person that plays games, not a Gamer, I am very good looking, not a Beautiful Person, I am a person with a billion dollars, not a Billionaire, and a person that is superficially charming, not a sociopath, to draw examples specific to me)

5 Likes

Yeah the search for identity is really really over-exploited imo. Especially considering how much of it ends up being more or less marketing. If I just happen play games I might consume differently than if I see my identity threatened if I don’t play games etc.

7 Likes

I don’t understand people that buy clothes that have a brand name on them as their only distinguishing feature.

4 Likes

When my nephew was a teenager, you would have sworn he went to Hollister High School and was on every single sports team and club. :rofl:

5 Likes

Well how else were people supposed to know they didn’t get that t-shirt at Walmart?

6 Likes

Lets just say that there are some atheists who do not want to admit to other people that they are atheists because of a vocal (maybe even evangelical) minority who give the rest of us a bad image.

And everything else that has been mentioned above doesn’t help.

8 Likes

I am the person who tried to remove the sponsors from my sports shirts* because I don’t like giving free advertising.

* Carlisle United, St Pauli, Clapton Community FC, Dulwich Hamlet. CCFC don’t have sponsors, Dulwich Hamlet have their sponsors as part of the design but I can forgive them to some extent as one of the sponsors are a union.

4 Likes

i wish they could find a way to fight speech with more speech.

Exactly, have a life, not a lifestyle. :beer:

1 Like