The “Atheist Street Pirates” remove illegal religious signs from Los Angeles streets

If I meant ALL Christians, I would have said all. I was just pointing out the double standard where Christians are, in general, welcome to wedge religion into every issue whether or not it’s related, while atheists are criticized as being smug for daring to out themselves under any circumstances. It had much more to do with Franko’s comment than anything you said. I didn’t think that you had anything against these sign pirates, and I agree that sexism and bigotry should be called out regardless of who is doing it.

I’m not even necessarily saying that Christians bringing religion into their good deeds is always a bad thing, as what I might view as an unprovoked and self-righteous sales pitch is, from a different perspective, just giving credit to the inspiration and motivation that drove them to do a good deed in the first place. Just sick of atheists being shushed and mocked for daring to say that religion isn’t inextricably linked to morality and choosing not to remain silent.

2 Likes

Except that plenty of people are pointing out specific circumstances of that, not saying all atheists… this includes many people here who are atheists.

6 Likes

I reserve belief in the existence of Summat until I see any necessary and sufficient evidence that Summat exists.

That which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence

5 Likes

He was already awful before that

I lost a lot of respect for Scientific American when they seemed to hand him the keys to the store

3 Likes

Hire one of those sign spinner people, and advertise with some flair.

Also, if these people get rid of all of the “Jesus died for your sins” and related signs from pedestrian freeway overpasses, then IMHO they’re doing God’s work… wait… “Doing a fantastic job!”

2 Likes

What if I hire one of them and nail them up holding a sign that says “I died for minimum wage. Wait…am I still getting paid for this?”

2 Likes

All performance art is derivative?

2 Likes

Everything is a remix

3 Likes

Glad to see the ASPs doing a good deed, but those signs are petty annoyances.

What I don’t like are friggin billboards advertising some church or other… no to mention TV commercials. Hell, they got their own TV channels, so let 'em peddle their swill there.

Besides, if they are advertising, then they are running a business, & need to be regarded as such.

1 Like

A lot of clay feet in the Skepticism field (I hesitate to call it the “community”). Shermer was always a libertarian. It just became more obviously problematic as time went by.

1 Like

Look out of your window (Hell, look around wherever you are) and I guarantee you will see summat. If you are blind, listen: you will hear summat (perhaps only eventually). Summat is stopping you from descending to the centre of the Earth. Summat is entering your lungs when you breathe. You are probably wearing summat right now. Indeed you your very own self are, in a real sense, summat. Summat is all, and all is summat.

:slightly_smiling_face:

Of course the alternative to a belief in Summat is the belief in Nowt. It’s one or the other I’m afraid, although the saying “It’s Summat and Nowt” does exist, which brings up some interesting ontological questions by itself.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.