The baffling topology of the burrito method for covering your duvet

There’s no topology involved. You turned it inside out. Then you turned it inside out again. Voila!

1 Like

Ack - schooled! I’m one of those people who always watches through film credits - just in case. You’d think I’d know better. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oddly not as magical as I thought it would be, removing it that way. Maybe because by the time I get around to changing my duvet cover, the comforter is half falling out so I just dump it out like so many tauntaun guts.

2 Likes

Came to say this. Good job.

I’m ashamed to say that I still can’t do that correctly.

…and I love burritos.

1 Like

All that and you still don’t have a tasty burrito?

3 Likes

How is putting a duvet cover on a comforter a difficult task? Use the sock method with two people. Scrunch up the cover like a sock. Each person grabs a comforter corner and places it in its corresponding duvet cover and attaches it with the thongs you sewed in to keep things secure. Work the cover over the comforter, attaching the innards to the cover at every junction until you reach the bottom. Secure the buttons and you’re done.

Yes, I’m married.

And who has a comforter and duvet cover if they’re single?

2 Likes

I love the linguistic shift going on here:

In the UK, you have a duvet, which you then cover with a duvet cover, very straightforward.

In the US, you have a comforter, and you still cover it with a duvet cover. I presume because the latter is relatively recent in the US, right?

(In most of Europe we’ve had these for centuries, so the UK wording, introduced in the 70s, also seems a bit contrived. But that’s another issue.)

6 Likes

And to muddy things further, we have doonas in Australia.

2 Likes

Huh, turns out I’ve been doing it wrong/right all these years.

1. Put corners of duvet into the top corners of the cover (no need to hold them, or tie it or anything, they always stay put)
  2. Pick up duvet and cover and shake it into place, may need a bit of manual work to get it in place
  3. Do up the buttons/popper etc on the bottom
  4. Hold from the bottom and shake again
  5. Done
    Before I was tall enough to stand on the floor and shake a duvet I would stand on the bed, worked fine for me.
2 Likes

Nah, we’ve had duvet covers forever. We just call duvets comforters because we’re difficult and it might actually be a different thing. But then again you might have had a continental quilt in the 60s or 70s. Words are pretty great.

Also, some of us just use quilts.

1 Like

Here (being Ireland & the UK) we call the inside bit a duvet and the outside bit a duvet cover. Why if she’s calling the inside bit a comforter, is she still calling the outside bit a duvet cover?

1 Like

This is why my husband and I have separate blankets. I am a terrible blanket thief. It adds bulk to the bedding, but saves midnight blanket raids.

1 Like

Around here, that problem was mostly solved by switching to king size covers on the queen size bed. Also, the duvet cover is made of fabric that doesn’t slide on the comforter, so the cover stays in place pretty well.

Comforters have a tendency to be thicker, and their covers are not meant to be washed as often because they’re used in conjunction with a full set of sheets and possibly even a blanket too.

Duvets are lighter, and used without a flat sheet underneath. If they have a cover, the cover needs to be washed along with the pillow case(s) and fitted sheet. If they don’t, then they need to be tossed in the wash just like the linens.

2 Likes

I am fully capable of balling my duvet into a tight little wad at the bottom of the duvet cover all on my own. Separate bed covers would likely help my wife by isolating her bed cover from my flailings.

We can share a single set of blankets though - it’s just duvets that I invariably flail like that.

2 Likes

I prefer the ghost method.

Turn the cover inside out, one person gets inside the cover and puts their hands in the corners. The other person hands them the corners and then you flip the whole thing inside out.

As an American, I always thought duvets and comforters were different things.

Comforters are blankets that don’t need covers, duvets are encased fillings that need covers.

The French word “duvet”, as introduced into English, seems to be a late 20th century thing - a replacement for “feather-bed” that allows the manufacturers to avoid putting any actual down or feathers in it. The word literally means “down” but since it’s French, you don’t have any legally enforceable implied contract in the wording such as exists in the (much older) English “feather-bed” and “eiderdown tick” or (probably newer) “down comforter”.

1 Like

I had no idea what a duvet was until today. I think I’ll stick to comforters. :sweat:

2 Likes

Same here. It’s far simpler and quicker than this misnamed technique.