The Biden Administration. Document the atrocities - Praise the graces

You have to choose to run to get votes. If you don’t you were never a choice.

Voters get zero choice in a brokered convention. Especially given none of those you named ever ran.

7 Likes

Yes, and on top of that there are very good reasons we moved away from the party picking the candidates rather than the rank and file voters… because it was not very democratic to do so…

That’s because Biden was the incumbent president. We also didn’t get a chance to vote in a primary when Obama ran again, or Clinton, etc…The last incumbent democrat to get challenged was Carter and that split the party and gave us Reagan… Thanks TED!

7 Likes

And incumbents can be challenged in their primaries. People don’t challenge because they support the incumbent or don’t think they can beat them. Usually the latter given pols ambitions.

Edit:

Also - should we be having this discussion in the elections thread? Not the Biden Administration thread?

5 Likes

True!

Nbc Wink GIF by Sunnyside

4 Likes

All I know is that undemocratic means are justified by my preferred outcome and therefore are magically more democratic.

7 Likes

Seth Meyers Idk GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

4 Likes

We need Dark Brandon, stat!

7 Likes

as long as it can be deemed an official act

Um, isn’t the catch there that it’s the fascist-friendly SCOTUS that would do that deeming?

8 Likes
6 Likes

Fuck hollywood. Fuck celebrity opinions.

Like everyone… EVERYONE… just stop listening.

Who cares what some random celebrity thinks about the US’ Governance. King. Reiner. These people live in the floating world and their opinions are ornamental. Most of them are gifts from friends.

Tuning out the news, the media, celebrity opinion back when it counted would have helped us more than almost anything in so many instances.

People who don’t know anything but carry outsized influence due to celebrity in some other area cannot be counted on to humbly STFU so we just have to consciously tune them out and think for ourselves where we can.

13 Likes

Stephen King also got an early screening of the Flash movie and told everyone it was the best superhero movie he’d ever seen. I don’t really trust his judgment anymore.

10 Likes

Rob Reiner and Stephen King are both pushing 80.

They’re too old for politics. I have to discount whatever opinions they have.

15 Likes
8 Likes

There ya go, Joe. More of this, please.
https://apnews.com/article/biden-campaign-house-democrats-senate-16c222f825558db01609605b3ad9742a

8 Likes

dr-evil

(Yeah, I remember when the 1975 $1M Olympic Lottery was fuck you money for life, so I’m old too.)

8 Likes

I don’t think so. First, they punted that to the lower court. Second, in the majority decision, they wrote that maybe-official duties should be presumed official. Third, they removed judicial review. So if one were to take their decision seriously, they’ve locked themselves out of getting involved. It would be prudent for any president taking advantage of it to start every such heretofore illegal act with the magic words, “In my official power as [whatever], I hereby [blargh]…” but not strictly necessary.

Of course, that’s what makes this such a clusterfuck of a ruling. Any president who actually uses it legitimizes the ruling; while a president (like Biden) who sees the danger of it won’t touch it’s power with a proverbial ten-foot pole.

I think that’s what this Court meant to do: keep this power out of principled hands by making it inherently corrupt, so that only corrupt presidents would be able to use it. That is why I think Biden needs to Kobiyashi Maru it - use the corrupt power to destroy itself.

3 Likes

Frustrated Jason Segel GIF by NETFLIX

6 Likes

Even if it were true that he had a disability.

It doesn’t disqualify you from employment- or from saving the world fro fascism, the Great Depression or starting social security.

9 Likes

The NYT is being killed on Bluesky, but poor Katrine Jean-Pierre just finished fielding questions from every single reporter in the WH press corp. Every single one of them, each asking the same exact questions with the same exact follow up questions.

She is way too nice and too patient. She needs to find her inner snark.

9 Likes

“Does anyone have any questions?”

the sandlot agree GIF

“Does anyone have any questions other than when the president will step down?”

8 Likes