The bizarre fame of former MTV VJ Jesse Camp

Originally published at: The bizarre fame of former MTV VJ Jesse Camp | Boing Boing

1 Like

even the laid-back, proto-crusty punk persona he brandished to become an MTV VJ was discovered to be fraudulent as he grew up wealthy.

I don’t know. A crustpunk who comes from an affluent background might be considered more true to life.

14 Likes

Everything goes out of style except jeans and a t-shirt.

Andy maybe those sharp Brooks Brothers suits Miles Davis wore in the 50’s.

8 Likes

even at the time i was wondering why he became famous. shrug

7 Likes

“That’s bullshit. You’re a white suburban punk, just like me.”

8 Likes

I remember that his goofy accent bothered me more than anything else about him. The zany voice shtick that some comedians use has always rubbed me the wrong way. Bobcat Goldthwait was another one that irked me.

3 Likes

Pauly Shore is another example.

4 Likes

I’d never heard of him before today. But I became curious and stumbled across this gem from his one album, a power ballad with Stevie Nicks: (warning, it’s bad)

4 Likes

ETA: the Hawaiian shirt has also been popular longer than the T shirt

5 Likes

That modern ‘gentleman’ needs a shave and a decent haircut, by jingo. And good god, man. Where is your moustache?

5 Likes

He also needs a cummerbund or a waistcoat in my opinion

3 Likes

Well, quite.

2 Likes

I see no spats. Harrumph!

4 Likes

The shoes were simply too upsetting to bring to anyone’s attention. I thought it for the best old boy. Don’t want to frighten the horses, what what?

2 Likes

It was very gracious of MTV to bless us with someone more fnckin’ annoying than Randee of the Redwoods.

2 Likes

If I’m being honest, that giant cowboy hat is still kinda cool. :cowboy_hat_face:

i kinda liked Randee – at least you KNEW he was a guy playing a character, and he was funny. it’s not like this guy, who was supposedly some reality contest winner and still so completely fake.

5 Likes

Did anyone stay for the last three minutes of vintage commercials?
Where did all the dial-a-psychics go?

4 Likes

Pay phones, Polaroid cameras, toll-free psychics … the '90s were a magical place, kids.

3 Likes

“He’s an angel from God.” --Carson Daly

1 Like