The Boss endorses Kamala Harris, repudiates Donald Trump

Originally published at: The Boss endorses Kamala Harris, repudiates Donald Trump - Boing Boing

19 Likes

Yet right-wingers still play “Born in the U.S.A.” at their political events because they never bothered to listen to any lyrics beyond the chorus.

44 Likes

Last night on CNN, Scott Jennings with his always informative and “balanced” commentary as the requisite right wing talking head called Springsteen a “moron celebrity”, and said “we’ve got Hulk Hogan and that’s all that matters”.

Cool, you guys can have the racist former pro-wrestler and failed actor that has long since ceased being relevant. I’d much rather have The Boss.

39 Likes
16 Likes

Bruce Springsteen GIF by Bleachers

25 Likes

A washed out pro-wrestler who for the past few years its been revealed that while he played a face was really a fucking heel all along is the REAL get…

Sure Jan GIF

32 Likes

Like his union busting efforts in the 1980s that I have no doubt lead a direct path to the deaths and suffering of many of his colleagues. He wasn’t even a particularly good or talented worker, and guys like him (tall, muscular, and charismatic) are basically a dime a dozen in pro wrestling. He just knew how to “play the game” and managed to become a huge success as a result.

You know, the more I write about him, the more of a perfect fit he is for the Republican party.

They can have him.

27 Likes

Kid Rock silently weeps…

30 Likes

I appreciate the importance of espousing positive values that the USA stands for at this critical time of war of for the hearts, because selling something positive beats fear-mongering, but my knee-jerk reaction about that “USA! USA!” is

(I recognize the irony of now linking to something on the HateSite)

“America is the most powerful nation on earth because…” no it’s the most powerful because it emerged intact from WW2, and aligned the 1st World behind it during the Cold War, and waged aggressive economic policy (and outright war) to preserve that power.

I recognize I’m playing right into the “america-hatin’ liberal” trope that the fascists decry, and is exactly what The Boss is intentionally avoiding, and I respect that he has to do that… </rant>

16 Likes

The real bummer about being a anti-woke maga lover is your choice of music is really diminished. No offense to Kid Rock or Ted Nugent but I’d like a little more variety.

12 Likes

The setting was a smart choice for increasing coverage. The corporate media goes all swoony for a diner, although they might not like it if there aren’t a few drooling MAGAts they can present as Real Americans™.

9 Likes

Why not? Those guys are assholes.

27 Likes

That decides it I guess, the is The Boss, so I’m told.

6 Likes

Non Xitter video for the BBS:

27 Likes

Watching that clip of Canadian Bacon, I thought that Kevin J O’Connor was Tom Noonan. They’ve both got such lovely eyes.

8 Likes

He did a great job with that!

13 Likes

In a very real sense every election is a new opportunity for us to decide what America is about.

For example, while some Americans cling to a whitewashed and idealized version of our past, others celebrate our country’s capacity for positive change. And there have been a lot of positive changes over the years along with all the bad stuff.

22 Likes

That’s true, but diners are also ubiquitous in New Jersey. Doug Emhoff recently did an interview from a similar diner in his hometown. Other than the Boss himself, and maybe Jon Bon Jovi, nothing is more New Jersey than a diner.

12 Likes

disappointed bummer GIF

18 Likes

I think you’re right about why the US is the most powerful country on earth, with regards to the Cold War era and all that. And yes, the American state is an imperial one, no doubt. That’s all accurate and spot on. But I think there is also room for thinking about other aspects of American history that wasn’t just about the damage done by the American state and its white supremacist colonizing project.

But I’d argue that just focusing on that makes it seem like only some people are “real” Americans… But the people in America are also agents of history. Let’s take the civil rights movement, for example. People in Africa were deeply influenced by American civil rights activists and thinkers (and vice versa, of course). Likewise, American pop culture has been an influence around the world in unexpected ways, such as musical forms like jazz, rock, punk, and hip-hop being universally beloved musical forms that have been taken up as rallying cries for greater freedoms.

I think America can be both things - both an empire and a place that promoted a new and exciting form of government that opened up all kinds of possibilities.

24 Likes