The Boston Dynamics bipedal robot can run now

-protect-and-serve-

(#fallout4)

4 Likes

if there’s one thing that might unite humanity, it’s possibly being the architects of our own extinction.

on second thought, we invented nukes, and here we are. hmm.

5 Likes

Blows my mind.

imagehttp://78.media.tumblr.com/d716855d51734aceebaf369dec7c7d8a/tumblr_p55ddz47NY1wzvt9qo1_1280.gif

7 Likes

Can’t tell if sarcasm, so…
https://www.darpa.mil/about-us/timeline/debut-atlas-robot

Combining this with the Google Duplex demo

And I think we’re looking at:

3 Likes

humanoid robot
robo sapiens

10 Likes

I wonder how long that battery pack lasts.

Boston Dynamics used to demo their robots with a power cable. The latest ones seem to go without, but I haven’t heard anything about duration of a charge, and there seem to be a lot of moving parts.

7 Likes

Look, it’s fine. It’s not like they have an articulated arm to attach knives to or anything.

7 Likes

Anything with moving parts breaks down. Heck, software systems with (more or less) no moving parts break down constantly and require maintenance. A robot uprising would have to be comprised of robots who can fix the infinite ways that they will break down, even at a microscopic level.

We’ll only really going to be dealing with a robot uprising when they reach the level of complexity of the human body, whereby they can digest raw materials for repair and powering themselves.

Sci-fi authors have thought this through, which is why in Blade Runner, the automatons are biological in nature, not mechanical.

3 Likes

I mean technically this robot doesn’t pose any MORE danger to us than a drone that just uses all-terrain treads, but it’s still going to seem so much scarier as it murders us.

6 Likes

Good. Now we can chase them before we push them over.

6 Likes

My first thought is…We’re all going to die by this thing.

My second thought is…Wait…it seems very inefficient for a robot to run like a human, couldn’t a flying robot kill us much faster?

3 Likes

I dunno I feel like they’ll master programmable molecular manufacturing, so repairing themselves will be no sweat. Probably have some essentially frictionless parts too.

1 Like

Great, thanks for pointing that one out, we had a chance for a moment there but you had to go point out the flaw in the murderbot plan.

6 Likes

They generally do, yes.

3 Likes

A flying robot can’t carry grenades, rifles, machine guns, frikkin lzr beams, bombs and armour.

But obviously, this robot is designed for humanitarian rescue missions, so that’s completely irrelevant.

Imma change googlemaps data and hide in a blank spot.

3 Likes

And for how long?

1 Like

To serve man?

TIL “Paraprosdokian”

2 Likes

15 Likes

I watched the video and all I can think is, “That’s pretty damn impressive.” That and apparently its kinematics were modeled after an over weight middled aged person like myself. Jim Henson or a good model company slap a skin suit on that thing and I’d swear we were related (watching us run at least).

3 Likes