The Boston Dynamics bipedal robot can run now

Is this so? All nature tries to repair itself. It is an extraordinary trick. Nevertheless after I broke my wrist, I have had months in plaster and had to have a piece of titanium to make the wrist straight enough to use. It would be a lot better if I could eject the dud arm and insert a new one. I would imagine a small number of robots with interchangeable parts, and with the tools to make new parts, could keep each other repaired.

3 Likes

The MQ-9 has bombs and lzr beams (though they’re only for targeting said bombs). Dunno if they put a gun on it. Either way, you’re not safe. Of course that robot’s even less useful for humanitarian rescue missions

1 Like

There’s an XKCD comic for that, of course:

12 Likes
4 Likes

So those plotting to robot overthrow need not have wasted all time and effort to make everything handicap accessible so that the Daleks could get to us.

2 Likes

Like cow tipping or messing with Sasquatch.

3 Likes

Honey! Baby took her first steps.
Yeah, but how fast…

3 Likes
6 Likes

Because they are shiny?

4 Likes

Everyone needs a hobby.

2 Likes

They grow up so quickly.

3 Likes

Ever notice that it’s next to frikkin impossible to buy good body armor?

3 Likes

Don’t worry, the young will survive. They can run and also squeeze into small rock crevices.

4 Likes

This kind of self repair or molecular scale assembly in artificial systems is about as far in the future as economically feasible fusion power… always 50 years off. No grey goo in our lifetimes.

2 Likes

I hadn’t, but given the BD developments, I’m pretty sure I will.

2 Likes

Now you mention it, I think I’ve seen that guy before…

7 Likes

Nukes, very powerful, but very stupid, hence manageable.
AI on the other hand…

2 Likes

It’s okay, we’ve got it covered.

4 Likes

(obligatory)

6 Likes

50 years ago, the immune system was little cells valiantly defending our bodies against invaders and fusion was using magnetic fields to try and slam deuterium and tritium atoms together. We have since learned a huge amount about how the immune system works, and have understood what a truly neat job much of life is, and how much we still have to learn; while fusion is still using magnetic fields to try and slam deuterium and tritium atoms together.

We may have grey goo in our lifetimes. Right at the end of all of our lifetimes if we don’t do it right.

Making spare parts and swapping bits seems to be something that life has never really tried. Things like hermit crabs swap their shells, but that’s not quite the same thing. It may be that robots have options that living things don’t.

2 Likes