The British government has published the Operation Yellowhammer brexit document

The sooner this cummings and the whole damn government are kicked out the better, i feel like we have our very own grima wormtongue.

2 Likes
3 Likes

The resulting episode led Cameron to warn Gove about the perils of becoming “a wanker”, the former prime minister writes.

I guess if any British politician knows about the perils of becoming a wanker, it’s Cameron. I hope he warned him about pigs, too.

1 Like

I’ve just heard an interesting idea in a satirical radio programme:
The Queen adopts Boris Johnson. As a member of the royal family he is not allowed to be in politics. Problem solved.

3 Likes

Careful. Biologist here, with some background in conservation policies and landscape planning.

Populations have declined in recent decades in western Europe, including the British Isles, Belgium, the Netherlands, Austria, and Italy. The yellowhammer is a red-list (severely declining) species in Ireland and the UK. In eastern Europe, numbers appear to be stable, although the trend in Russia is unknown. Changes to agricultural practices are thought to be responsible for reduced breeding densities.

Said changes in agriculture practice are, in part, due to the EU’s CAP. This, however, is open for discussion, since the farming practices in the UK and Ireland probably also changed because of other reasons, like technology.

The cultural references, by the way, are rich.

Beethoven’s student, Carl Czerny, and biographer Anton Schindler, both suggested that the composer got the idea for the first four notes of his 5th symphony from the yellowhammer’s call[.]

That Symphony is called the Schicksalssymphonie.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.