The CleanKey cuts your exposure to infected surfaces by opening doors and pressing buttons for you

Ah, ah, but copper!

(I didn’t read the text but surely the copper content is touted, I’d be disappointed if it wasn’t.)

1 Like

Just get yourself a velociraptor. They can handle all your door opening needs for you!

11 Likes

tumblr_inline_mrmzmsHp3U1qz4rgp540

14 Likes

Or a cat:

(But the velociraptor is probably easier to train)

9 Likes

Cool. So use once every 4 hours. How long will your pockets keep a virus alive?

I’m still in favor of a stick. Or disposable gloves.

3 Likes

I use my knuckles and butt for most of the video’s examples.

I’m just going to guess that the CleanKey does not conform to Shabbat rules.

Fun fact: I once got stuck on a Shabbat elevator on my first trip to Tel Aviv. Probably took 10 mins to get to the hotel lobby.

7 Likes

As an added bonus a pet Velociraptor would be excellent at making sure everybody else respects your social distance.

6 Likes

I saw a suggestion to use dog waste bags instead of gloves. Put your hand in the bag then pick up items, open doors, etc, Remove your hand and use caution to turn the baggie inside out the same way you would with dog poop. A thousand poop bags are about the same cost as that doohickey. Disposable bags are worse for the environment, but definitely much less chance of cross contamination.

2 Likes

Right, a banana then.

3 Likes

those are statistical extremes, usually it will be far less

Just look at it! :banana:

2 Likes

You promised us we wouldn’t do fruits this week!

5 Likes

“Antimicrobial brass”.

Antimicrobial ≠ antiviral = useless against Covid 19.

2 Likes

Today my apartment building installed giant sanitizer dispensers inside and outside of every elevator and inside and outside of every external and rooftop door. Plus points for the dispensers being motion activated. It was already pretty easy to breeze around the building touching minimal surfaces but this is a nice addition.

2 Likes

Not so.

read about 1/4 the way down.
but to quote “Rapid inactivation of human coronavirus occurs on brass and copper nickel surfaces at room temperature (21°C).Brasses containing at least 70% copper were very effective at inactivating HuCoV-229E (Fig. 2A), and the rate of inactivation was directly proportional to the percentage of copper.”.

No reason to think this coronavirus is any different.

But this is honestly my favorite:

5 Likes

I’ve thought about this for a while. Amazing how door knobs and handles used to be brass or bronze… Now it is a lot of cheap plating, paint, or for the expensive stainless steel.

2 Likes

Harder to keep clean and shiny.

Someone’s got to polish that stuff.

But, I have seen an increase in ads for things like hospital door kickplates being made of brass in the past few years.

1 Like

University of Maryland says otherwise.

In many places copper is theft bait. Tradeoffs.