Contactless door opener and stylus

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/27/contactless-door-opener-and-st.html

3 Likes

I assume there is a stylus tip on the end of it that is not shown?

Otherwise the metal end is going to destroy anything with a touch screen

5 Likes

Is “brassy” anything like “chocolaty”? As in, almost completely, but not entirely unlike brass?

11 Likes

Surely Brassy, for your new Goldfinger.

9 Likes

These are just cross-contaminators. Once you use it you have to put it somewhere. Either hanging off of your belt or in your pocket or purse. Unless you clean it off with sanitizer each time you use it you’re going to cross contaminate. Brass may have antimicrobial properties, but it takes hours to have any effect, which is long after you’ll have cross contaminated. And, if you’re just going to sanitize it anyways, then you could have just used your finger and sanitizer, savimg yourself the trouble of using a device.

23 Likes

“Wuhan Tool”:

5 Likes

COVID Key: Life Saving Tool or Useless Gimmick? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjU6ds_Zlso

4 Likes

I can hear the squeaking sound in my head now…

2 Likes

That’s what feet are for.

1 Like

Any word on an anodised finish? The shiny brass doesn’t seem very tactical.

6 Likes

Good thing it’s not actually made of brass then

3 Likes

Maybe this will do?

paratech-tactical-hooligan

7 Likes

marty feldman

2 Likes

Wow, $4 to $5.50 apiece, depending on the package. That’s way cheaper than the $19.99 to $21.99 price point of the Boing Boing Shop!

11 Likes

Unfortunately not. The majority of the opportunistically marketed Covid keys I’ve seen do not have stylus tips.

1 Like

I’ve made one of those. Quite practical.
Just remember to let it cool for a bit before you shove it back in a pocket.

3 Likes

Here’s a more thought out contactless door opener - the hook retracts, and a little cover door closes over it, held in place by magnets. But it is way more expensive.

3 Likes

Arr it be a proper brass hook for me hand (up me sleeve) or 't be nuth’n! ye…scurvy cutlass flapping sluggard!

2 Likes

That is actually a useful design.

Machine a little hole on the end and add a capacitive Stylus tip and that is actually useful.

Hell I should start making these

2 Likes

Yeah, this design shows that it is possible to make a compact, usable device that could actually prevent cross contamination, which is the whole point in the first place. Definitely could use a stylus tip. Probably can’t be retrofitted on this existing device since the case has been machined to fit and the cover wouldn’t be able to close, but it would be straightforward to design a version that could accommodate a tip.

3 Likes