Contactless door opener and stylus

Honestly this is the only version of these kinds of devices I’ve ever seen that looks like it would actually work, and it isolates the contact surfaces inside the body so that it actually does keep anything from cross contaminating.

I have a medical device I helped design in my house that uses magnets entirely instead of Fasteners to hold it together and I came up with a similar use of friction fitting magnets into metal, however, I worked out a way to do that with annodized material as well- which would normally not allow such things because it would be too much pressure and shatter the magnet.

I can already think of a better version of this thing that has a stylus tip integrated but I have no idea what the ramifications of copying a design of something like this would be and making my own and selling it.

Pretty sure that could end up in a lawsuit. Which is sad, because I would beef up this design. I really like it.

6 Likes

Jeez, just get used to washing your hands more often already!

3 Likes

Unfortunately everything is touch screen now in a supermarket and you still have to use a keypad when you go to pay otherwise you’re using cash.

Unless you have hand sanitizer on you at all times this specific tool above actually would do the job.

This is the first time I’ve seen one that’s actually useful

2 Likes

That’s not bad either, can imagine a universal lighter holder for one of those…

No bottle opener. Pass.

2 Likes

46klf7

That would be really easy to add actually, on the opposite end of the device from where the finger comes out for exactly that reason

5 Likes

Isn’t it easier to just carry a bottle of hand sanitizer with you?
And didn’t the CDC recently say there was less concern about catching it from touching something vs. getting it via airborne droplets?
Perhaps tools like these work, but they just seem to me to give a false sense of security as apposed simple good personal sanitary practices.

3 Likes

I found cocktail wieners to be the perfect size and disposable, five of them fit conveniently in a nitrile glove.

5 Likes

Trump prefers to call it the “Kung hook”.

Ah, I see you live in an area where NFC cards/Google Pay/Apple Pay are not common. I keep forgetting about how up to a couple of years ago were all used to entering the PIN number.

Your comment about the hand sanitiser reminds me of seeing people with little bottles of sanitiser, but no masks. It just reminds me of how slapdash and spotty most people think of infection, as some mix of getting cooties and magic curses. All you need to do is perform the right rituals.

6 Likes

One assumption might be if the metal being used is softer than the glass it won’t scratch it. But those are things i don’t know enough about to say one way or another.

I am aware of NFC Google and Apple pay but yes such methods are not widely supported in the area I live despite there being no end to the wealthy people in this area.

I do not trust giving Google or Apple my information to pay for everything as well. It’s bad enough I trust PayPal but I only use it when I have to.

I don’t really carry hand sanitizer on me because it’s very hard to find still, and there are still people around here who refuse to wear masks even in grocery stores and I am told by the grocery store management they cannot do anything against these people which is bullshit

3 Likes

Here in Germany (Bavaria, to be precise) supermarkets had to get “bouncers” to make sure each shopper had a cart, wore a mask and so on before entering. No carts left? That means capacity is reached. There with your spouse? You both need a cart, because that’s how capacity is maintained. If you don’t like it, well, tough. The supermarket isn’t going to risk a hefty fine because you feel inconvenienced.

Which is a far, far cry from what my parents tell me is going on in Texas.

14 Likes

Is it velociraptor compatible?

Dude, in Texas the wife would pull a Glock 9mm out of her purse and threaten you with it if you told her that :roll_eyes::laughing: (Texan here, so not just speculating)

1 Like

And people wonder why the EU is planning on forcing a quarantine on anyone who comes from the USA (or even visited it via a third country, so no sneaking in around other routes).

Or why I prefer being an expatriate.

7 Likes

Yes that’s because your country is full of sane people.

Can you tell me how I can move there?

I am tired of being left awash in a sea of idiots please god save me from my idiot countrymen

6 Likes

brassy is a euphemism for: it’s plated to look like brass but in a few months that wears off and it will look like the aluminum it’s made of.

2 Likes

Please don’t let this concept end here. It deserves an Onion article, a sketch show, a netflix series, something!

2 Likes

Um… Wow. I want one o.o’ .