The customs of luxury car owners

Mercedes? Yeah, I’d probably grab the cart.

But BMW? Fuck ‘em. :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Thanks, @orenwolf for splitting this off the bad indoor pool idea thread! You’ve been pretty busy today.

3 Likes

Maybe not a luxury car, but I think it has that perception… and there is some amount of virtue signaling in driving one, I’d say. Also, apparently lots of prius drivers become obsessed with driving in a way that maximizes their fuel consumption…

But this is yet more anecdotal evidence on my part.

Worst drivers in Georgia: In God We Trust.

3 Likes

LOL! We need to run a study!

Those just irritate me, honestly.

1 Like

It’s not luxury car (in fact it’s quite Spartan in most regards and it’s interior materials are shockingly cheap feeling) but for quite some time it was a status symbol. These days I think that mantle has been taken over by Tesla.

2 Likes
3 Likes

I haven’t seen enough of them on the road to form an impression.

Yeah, My image of a Prius is just an economy car where you can get really good gas mileage (Compared to the norm).

2 Likes

Totally agree. I bought a Prius the first year they were available, drove it until I totalled it (hit a deer at high speed on the I-95/295 interchange) and then bought another one, this time a plug-in model, which I just finished paying off.

In places like California, where there is a big socio-political divide and plenty of money, some of the most… um… unpleasantly sententious? people are those driving Priuses (see also, rolling coal, for the other extreme of that divide).

And even if a Prius driver is less smugly selfrighteous than the stereotype, more interested in driving considerately than virtue signalling, the temptation to hypermile can be very hard to resist. I do it whenever I can without inconveniencing others, because I am a giant cheapskate (100+ mpg or bust!).

I think people driving EVs and hybrids who are inconsiderate of people in ICE cars aren’t much different, psychologically, from those jerks who blow their horns and gun their engines whenever they pass a horse and buggy.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.