The Emoji Movie sucks, but the reviews are awesome

I’m hoping for a RiffTrax or MST3K of this movie. Otherwise i can’t imagine myself bothering to watch it.

1 Like

TJ Miller has been refreshingly open in interviews about having done this movie for a fat paycheck and nothing else whatsoever. He’s a busy man, I think he’ll be juuuuust fine.

1 Like

So it’s worse than Angry Birds?

4 Likes

My one-word review when I saw the posters: Why?

3 Likes

tax shelter?

3 Likes

Horrible Bosses is 68% fresh on RT, not exactly “terrible”.

And obvious titles are a phenomenon that is not limited to any particular quality of media. The Godfather is a pretty obvious title, given the subject of the movie, yes? Or Alien? The Wizard Of Oz? My Dinner With Andre?

3 Likes

Horrible Bosses was tremendous. Objectively.

It was painful watching Chris Hardwick hyping this movie on @midnight the other night. Even his panelists were cringing and mocking it.
His reason was ostensibly that his friend TJ Miller was in iit, but I have to wonder if he doesn’t have a piece of it somehow…

1 Like

Here’s an interview with the screenwriter, who says, “We realized that every emoji just makes one expression – the smiling emoji is always smiling. The frowning emoji is always frowning. But what happens to the guy or girl who can’t make the face they’re supposed to make and has more feelings than just one? So it’s really about what it means to be your authentic self and not be constrained by other people’s expectation about what you’re supposed to be.”

That’s, like, so deep.

So if people see this in droves, there might be hope my resting bitch frown face?

4 Likes

I feel 100% confident that my niece and nephews are going to make me take them to this. To date the worst film they have ever made me take them to was Transformers 2. I hated that film so much that I left halfway through got a manicure next door and then came back in again near the end.

9 Likes

Urgh. I feel you. My kid wants to see this.

My response (and worth the divorce if it comes to it): “Honey, I think your Mommy wanted to go see that with you…”.

6 Likes

They canceled Popeye for this? so sad.

ftfy  

2 Likes

As much as I wanted to see Genndy Tartakovsky’s Popeye movie, it’s one of those weird legacy properties that’s a wee bit dated in 2017. But it certainly would’ve been better than this crap.

On the plus side, cancelling Popeye gave us the new season of Samurai Jack, which was a masterpiece.

1 Like

It is getting a 10 rating on IMDB right now! (in binary)

We were at the theater yesterday and saw lots of people going to it, wearing official t-shirts. I also heard one who sounded very excited to see the “My Little Pony” poster. Of course, they were all under the age of six, so I don’t think I’m in the target demographic.

“This movie was shot in 3B - three beers and it looks good.”
— One of the McKenzie brothers. Can’t remember which one, so take your pick.

4 Likes

"Do not :eyes: too deeply into the abyss… "

4 Likes

Nietzsche also makes more sense after three beers. YMMV, of course.

5 Likes

They should let Alejandro Jodorowsky do the sequel.

3 Likes