The evolution of HBO's Sonic IDs

Originally published at: The evolution of HBO's Sonic IDs | Boing Boing

3 Likes

These take me back. Good to have friends…with cable!

Also remind me of the countless times I heard a news “sounder” coming from the crappy AM radio in my parents car, such as:

6 Likes

Am I the only one who’s really irritated by the fuzzy compression artifacts in the static I see in HBO logo? It’s so ugly.

2 Likes

It definitely doesn’t stream super well for that reason. But it’s also still instantly identifiable.

3 Likes

In other words, their visual noise isn’t random enough?

3 Likes

The 1983 ID is the one that has the strongest positive effect on me. I remember humming along to it as a teenager, just before re-watching a favourite movie.

4 Likes

There’s a pretty interesting mini-documentary about all the practical effects they used to create the '83 ID. I was riveted the first time I watched this, because I always wondered back then how the heck certain bright, colorful animations were done without looking like cartoons.

5 Likes

I remember that mini-doc very well. <3

2 Likes

Or the fourth broadcast of the day of The Black Hole.

3 Likes

Which is ironic since HBO’s Westworld currently has a plotline about evil; robots using sound signals to control humans like puppets.

2 Likes

Anyone remember watching any of the pre-HBO networks?

I seem to remember it as Hollywood Home Theater. It’s big feature movie was Rollerball (1975). We thought it was so cool to be able to watch an R rated movie, uncut, on TV

2 Likes

Over here, it has to be the BBC News theme. For the one of you that doesn’t know it…

As Bill Bailey says, this is the news - accept no pale imitations.

5 Likes

It’s called an “earcon” (audio icon).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.