The evolution of punk rock in 200 tracks (1965 to 2016)

Are you truly?

2 Likes

There are a lot of songs like that, which is why there are multiple ‘Songs The Cramps Taught Us’ compilations.

3 Likes

Holy Cramp! I knew several of those were covers but not that many. Thanks.

I’m trying really hard not to pick apart the list. Someone cared enough to put it together, and no one will ever agree on what should be on it and what not. At least he got a lot of the right bands on there. But I am very meh on a lot of the choices and omissions. Whatever, How could you not include Mission of Burma, though?

5 Likes

I wouldn’t have put Face to Face in the list either but goddamn this song is soooooooooooo good

This is one of those weird things- when I was 15 nothing made more sense to me than Roots Radicals, and I saw them 7-8 times between 1996 (The best edition of Lollapalooza IMO,) and 2003 when I turned 21 at Warped Tour (also the last time I put myself through that level of hell…)

I still listen to a lot of what I listened to those days- and Op Ivy is definitely in somewhat regular rotation. But Rancid went from being my absolute favorite band to purely a nostalgia play at this point, and my least favorite album then, Life Won’t Wait, is my favorite now.

Edit: I do think Rancid belongs in the list, because there’s tons of kids out there like me who really got in to punk rock because of them.

1 Like

Yes, I have other biases. Being older, and having grown up in circles that overlapped with former members.

2 Likes

It was encouraging to see Minutemen on the list… but then - BOOM! – nothing from ‘Sonic Youth’ or ‘Mission of Burma’?

Major misses!

4 Likes

Enjoy! MoB could never sing worth shit, but they kick ass and I love them.

Wait for the muscular riffs starting at 1:19 Kick. Ass.

1 Like

I bought a ticket to their concert in my town last year but couldn’t go because my SO was sick. I’d waited 22 years for that…

Murphy’s Law is the worst and I don’t mean the one on a quest for herb.

Jokes aside that’s a bummer, I had friends that went and said they threw down.

Close enough. 2 Tone is pretty much the love child of punk and ska anyway.

1 Like
3 Likes
1 Like

Just what I was thinking!

They started out in like 85. [ETA] My bad, 87… though Suzi Gardner did some backing vocals for Black Flag…

1 Like

Yeah, call me a purist or an elitist, but there are limits. :smirk:

1 Like

I mean, they’re fine or whatever, but punk was about more than the sound and style, yeah?

1 Like

This has changed my life.