The Fall of Roe v Wade & the Insidious Fascist Plot to Make All Women into Mere Broodmares

was there a case here, or was the ISMLD acting on behalf of a political interest?

6 Likes

This. Absolutely this. She followed every rule. They slapped her down because she talked to the press.

13 Likes

An exception to save the life of the mother or prevent serious and permanent bodily injury only comes into play when a physician is defending themselves in court after they have been charged with the felony.

Holy shit, that phrasing is terrifying! You can only invoke the exception for the life of the mother after they have charged you with a felony. In quite a few circumstances, that would already have cost you your job. Not many docs would be willing to chance their careers, and their freedom, to the whims of 12 folks the prosecutors can tailor to their desired outcome. What a shitshow!!

7 Likes

If medical professionals aren’t allowed to respectfully share the real world impacts of laws, just, WTF?

11 Likes

“Pro-life” means forcing women to never be able to have children.

As we all know, it means absolutely everything to do with pain and death, and absolutely nothing to do with healthy, happy, living women and children.

11 Likes
10 Likes

This is why Illinois is so crucial, with a Democratic governor who is spearheading protections for women, LGBTQIA+, etc. If you look at the map, Carbondale in southern Illinois is driveable from most of the states blocking abortion rights:

12 Likes

And much of southern Illinois thinks JB is a northern degenerate liberal who they didn’t vote for. I’m so glad cook county alone has enough votes to overcome them.

2 Likes

Every glimmer of hope counts.

13 Likes
4 Likes

Chance Brannon, 23, an active duty Marine stationed at Camp Pendleton, and Tibet Ergul, 21, both of Orange County, are accused of using a Molotov cocktail to firebomb a Costa Mesa clinic in March 2022, the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Central District of California said in a release.

But we can’t purge these asshats from the armed forces, the Fascists will have apoplexy!!

6 Likes
3 Likes

That’s an agonizing read. But the story of her OB telling her to carry it to term even at the cost of her own life is, as a physician, infuriating! Sacrificing a healthy woman for a nonviable fetus is unthinkable. And yet, here we are.

7 Likes

I hope enough people are finally realizing the point we’ve reached.

9 Likes

Others have probably already realized this, but reading that article, I don’t know why it was that one that finally lit the lightbulb, but it made me realize that, aside from ALL the other horrendous impacts of these laws, they’ll also slowly turn pregnancy from something that was a joyous experience to be shared with friends and family, into a scary secret that must be hidden for as long as possible in case something like this happens. Because if anything goes wrong, the Stazi could come for you, and who knows which of your friends, family members, or neighbors might be the rat.

3 Likes

Yeah, because just being a woman and dealing with pregnancy under the usual circumstances wasn’t already hard enough.

:rage:

9 Likes

Another story from Texas.

10 Likes

Having grown up in WV, where 50 of the 55 counties did not have practicing OB’s, I have seen this sort of dynamic in action. (At the time, the issue was malpractice insurance, but the effect was similar.) Maternal morbidity and mortality will skyrocket, affecting the poor dramatically more than the wealthier, of course. Prenatal care will largely vanish. Early childhood outcomes become far more unfavorable. You know, all the things “pro-life” people live for. Far more suffering.

9 Likes
7 Likes

As one of those (former) babies: FU for playing God with our lives.

(Not you, @mspie500, obviously!)

11 Likes