The first woman Doctor Who to be commemorated with a limited-edition Barbie

Wouldn’t it work better that way? It fits no matter what size it is, as it bends space to make it fit?

I though that was the basic operating principle of Spanx.

5 Likes

Yeah… I mean, not gonna lie, I’d buy the heck out of a TARDIS Cuisinart (assuming it was a good Cuisinart, I have standards). But it still leaves a bitter taste on my tongue that women fans have been here, and been loyal, for the past decade and more but only now are they suddenly being acknowledged. And in a way that’s kind of like… really? Really? A Barbie doll is what they thought of?

Not that I have anything against Barbies, per se… I had them as a kid and turned out fine. Not having them wouldn’t have saved me from the ten billion other things in our society that taught me from a young age to hate my own gender and body, and if in some alternate universe I planned to have children I wouldn’t deny them Barbies and similar toys. I just resent the seemingly automatic association: “The Doctor’s a woman now! Better make her a doll with soft clothes and brushable hair, which no one will ever brush because we’re not going to risk this on the actual children’s toys market! Of course, we never had a doll of the other Doctors before and we certainly aren’t going to go back and make them now, ha ha–they’re men! But sexism is over! Buy!”

But since you mentioned bringing in young girls as new fans, one franchise I think is doing a really good job modeling that is Star Wars. Focusing on female characters and their stories, dolls (actual dolls for children, not $50 dust collectors: check out the Forces of Destiny line) and other toys, and a huge influx of female authors for books at a variety of age targets–it makes me pretty wistful for what my adolescence would have been like if I’d had that 20 years ago. Where would I be now, if I’d had Captain Phasma then? We’ll never know.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.