The first woman Doctor Who to be commemorated with a limited-edition Barbie

I laughed so hard that I almost snorted liquid out of my nose when he asked 10 & 11 if they were companions, due to how young they look…

6 Likes

I’ve never heard “Wholigan” before, but I’m out of touch with the New fandom. I watched a ton of Classic Who (mainly Four and Five) back in the 80’s, but I haven’t seen much of the new series yet.

Oh yeah. I remember when I first saw a picture of Matt Smith (Eleven.) One of my father’s sayings flashed into my brain: “I’ve got socks older than him.” :roll_eyes: :wink: (Hey, I was maybe 10 or so when I started watching, so I was used to Doctors older than me.)

I’ve seen some good reviews of Thirteen so far. Can’t wait to catch up…

3 Likes

Same here. I used to watch the 4th Doctor as a kid, and was well into adulthood before I learned there’d been plural Doctors. (A few weeks ago I watched part of The Keys of Marinus; first time I’d watched in years…)

4 Likes

Some fans don’t like the term ‘Whovian,’ because it sounds too much like Dr Seuss.

3 Likes

How about “Whomeric”?

Holy shit. I had no idea. Uh. I have a lot to catch up on, clearly.

Of the newer ones, I’ve at least seen Blink at least, and a few others, but mostly have been of the loop.

5 Likes

Ah, this is another Trekker/Trekkie thing then. :vulcan_salute: :wink:

Edited: @coherent_light, my Dad and I recently got to watch Journey to the Center of the TARDIS, which was good, but I’m woefully behind on New Who too.

2 Likes

I’m not really big on Barbies, but I think she might make a nice friend for my Uhura Barbie …

12 Likes

To each their own, but to my mind that’s a feature, not a bug.

3 Likes

I recently bingewatched Season 11 of the old series (the last season with Pertwee, and the season Elisabeth Sladen joined the cast). It is really rather good. You might want to consider catching down, instead of catching up.

2 Likes

My mother was a nurse midwife in east London in the late ‘50s before she met my father (a doctor). The book on which the British TV show “Call the Midwife” is based was written by a friend of my mothers’ who was also a nurse midwife, and the book is a biographical recounting of a midwife working in the same neighborhood and same time period that my mother worked as a midwife. My mother says of the series: that’s exactly what it was like. And then the female lead of the show, Jessica Raine, bears a spooky resemblance to my mother at the same age. Doppelganger in a appearance and in action.

I actually really enjoy watching Call the Midwife. But I suppose if my mother were a 10,000 year-old alien, who’s a man 13/14ths of the time, I might feel differently.

5 Likes

I’ve only seen a little of the Pertwee era, but Sarah Jane was my first and favorite companion. As a kid, I wanted to be brave and adventurous like her. When I found out Elizabeth Sladen had passed away, I actually teared up.

I’ve got WiFi through Calyx now, and I’m planning on getting a Roku stick. Once I get that set up, I’m hoping to find a way to catch up with both Classic and New Who, especially since it’s a show both my dad and I like to watch.

(If they ever wanted to film more of Three’s adventures, they could get Jon’s son Sean to star. He dressed up as his father’s Doctor for Halloween a couple of years back and he looked completely like him.)

3 Likes

All 14 Doctors:

7 Likes

Someone’s always stuck taking the picture…

10 Likes

Classic Doctor Who has become hard to find, except on DVD and pirated sources. The advantage of the DVDs is that many of them have been nicely restored, and have interesting special features. Sladen has a great interview in the Season 11 set.

5 Likes

The over-the-air network Retro TV airs Classic episodes, but my local affiliate broadcasts a low-power signal and we can’t pick it up with our current setup. I’m hoping they have a stream somewhere once I get the Roku.

I have some individual stories on DVD, but no boxed sets yet. They’re available on ebay, but it’s not in the budget right now.

4 Likes

Love that. So I’ll just leave this right here: https://www.deviantart.com/pupukachoo/art/Doctor-Hoo-wallpaper-258609222

And while we’re on the subject: the companions, as rendered by artist Amy Mebberson.

3 Likes

You know those wimmins… /s

But to your larger point about not examining gender discrimination in geek collectibles, that’s not a bad one. The solution there is probably to have more women in front of and behind the camera, and more women in companies that make and sell merchandise to geeks. Even better, a societal examination of gender disparities where ever they are found. I mean, NO ONE would ever object to that, right? Honestly, I don’t think a Dr. Who Barbie is the problem to be railed against here. It’s the entirety of society that assumes women and girls are less valuable and have less buying power than young men. Women have been in geek culture since day one. The problem is that decision making positions are almost always STILL held by men, despite that. Once again, attacking a barbie doll (or products generally aimed at women, but branded with geeky stuff, which is precisely what’s happening in many of the comments here) isn’t really the solution, but is most certainly part of the problem in the first place.

8 Likes

And then some.
Good times…

I finally got to see the first episode of the season. Despite some of the controversy to the actor change, they didn’t stray from their roots, featuring an amazing alien Tooth Fairy/Predator. And the Doctor is still just the doctor. While since the reboot each actor has left their thumbprint on the character, if you close your eyes and listen to the words and mannerisms, there is a consistent thread that binds all of them, and Whittaker has picked right up and continued to weave with it.

1 Like

Terrible idea, you know it’ll never fit properly, what with that “bigger on the inside” problem.

7 Likes