The funniest rebuttal to the vegetarian argument

Just being a brat, I’d say.

11 Likes

You’re the wurst

9 Likes

Oh now you’ve done it!

hungry hot dog GIF by Ethan Barnowsky

6 Likes

I don’t want to beat this to death, since you’ve already apologized, but I think you’re still not really getting it.

Um, no, I don’t think so. I think most people understand driving trollies to be exactly what (you say) you’re doing. The trolley almost always thinks they’re being funny or clever. It may or may not be negative, but it’s seldom spiteful or an attack

That’s not the problem – the problem is that many people find it a tedious, annoying, and/or smug habit that detracts from good conversation…

But your “contemporary vernacular” got the connotation exactly right. No problem there.

This is just a learning experience (“Oh, no! Not another learning experience!” :slightly_frowning_face:) to help you understand that some people don’t find that particular behaviour nearly as amusing as you apparently do.

Hope that helps to make things clearer. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Pop Tart Dogs? That’s taking things a bit far, no?

2 Likes

The only good thing about this post is that the omnivore author admits to sitting around planning on starting arguments with vegetarians, which at least disabuses us of the myth that it’s the vegetarians/vegans who are argumentative and preachy and annoying.

4 Likes

Eh, there are preachy and annoying people throughout the food chain.

LSq0fy8FpiAJyR5S3nLcLlP1Z5MTihpfrLvwG_MbHpI

3 Likes

If we stopped artificially inseminating farm animals, and stopped aiding them significantly in giving birth without dying or killing the baby, they wouldn’t actually be able to reproduce anyway.

Is this true? My working knowledge isn’t current but sheep here were primarily natural insemination, natural birth a few decades ago. I assume animals that regularly create feral populations such as pigs and goats don’t rely exclusively on human insemination

3 Likes

There are more feral pigs in Saskatchewan than there are people

1 Like

There was a wrinkle in the space time continuum that disrupted the sandwich alignment chart

Also, Guy Fieri got a deal. But we can mostly blame Chevy.

7 Likes

CABI list cats as an invasive species for France, Hungary, Switzerland and the UK among others.
As well as their impact on prey species, they threaten native wildcats by interbreeding.

4 Likes

I would assume chickens as well since there is a feral population of them in Hawaii
https://wanderwisdom.com/travel-destinations/Roosters-On-Oahu-Love-Them-or-Hate-Them#:~:text=They%20are%20found%20in%20the,20%2C000%20fowls%20roaming%20the%20island.

2 Likes

I’m equally willing to let things go, but -with all due respect- I don’t think you get it.

The exaggeration in my post stems from the behavior that I say “I live for.” As you have no idea who I am, what I do, or how I behave in real life, you have to assume what I say- regardless of my intent- is 100% true. That’s where we’re not seeing eye to eye. Which, again, is my fault.

Because I used the word trolling to describe actions that I scarcely perform- it immediately framed my actions- and consequently myself- in a light that you find annoying, detestable, irksome, etc. Which I don’t blame you for. That’s how words work. That’s my mistake, not yours. If I said, " I live for random silliness," you probably wouldn’t have been irked. Moreover, if I used a different word, you wouldn’t be so deadset on telling me what I behave like in real life.

However, because of that word, and your negative association with it, you categorize me and the actions I exaggerated participaing in as malicious. So much so that even when I say, “Nah, I don’t really do that in real life, I was being over the top,” you’re so attached to the word that you say, “I dunno, that sounds like the kind of cognitive dissonance a troll would employ,” Which, again, is my fault.

For all you know, I could have intense agoraphobia and use my posts on BoingBoing as my only means of communication. That’s not true, but you get my point.

The truth, is that I don’t really “troll” people. If anything, I act sporadically silly when dealing with people that greet me with similar energy. I don’t walk up to people at the bus stop and prank them. You just think I do because: you don’t know me, I used an inaccurate word to describe myself, and your aversion to the word categorizes me as someone who shouldn’t be trusted.

You can believe that I exaggerated in my post or not. I can’t change your mind about it. If you believe me, that’s great. If not, well, that’s fine too. Its my fault to begin with.

9 Likes

They’re considered the same in the americas

5 Likes

Well, that would be my point.

3 Likes

Oh boy. You’re not helping yourself here.

Try a different tack. We’re telling you that this one doesn’t work here, so try something else. Maybe an interesting scientific study, or an all-the-feels story, or little-known historical information. Don’t make it about you. Make it about the interesting thing you want to show us.

4 Likes

Sorry, my wording wasn’t clear: animals where farm populations are known for regularly spawning feral populations don’t rely exclusively on human insemination. Feral cattle are uncommon but apparently a thing too.

1 Like

And apparently my wording wasn’t clear either, because that’s what I said.

2 Likes

I am not a vegetarian, but I find I sometimes go a week or more without eating meat. I could see being a vegetarian if I were a better cook or married to someone who was an amazing cook.

When I say veganism is still kind of a fuzzy moral position, I am considering lots of issues besides how animals are treated in factory farms. Are we prepared to tell indigenous people they can’t engage in their ancient traditions anymore? If letting a domesticated animal like a cow go extinct is morally preferable, then what about dogs and cats? Is it better for the environment to be wearing clothes made of polyester instead of wool? (One source of microplastic pollution is polyester fleece, which has been found in remote places like the Himalayas.) I’m sure vegans have answers to these questions I’m not aware of. In the past I’ve given vegans a hard time but I’ve since developed a respect-- their position is admirable, and few things in life are perfect. So much of what modern humans do is detrimental to our world.

Humans should really eat less meat, but domesticated animals deserve to exist, we created them we should be better stewards of their lives.