The Gallery of Just Plain Assholes (Part 1)

Yeah I couldn’t even finish that article.
Yuck.

5 Likes

Although not what one might be lead to believe.

Police took the man who was driving the truck into custody and were questioning him. He was wearing a Fort Lauderdale Gay Men’s Chorus t-shirt.

Justin Knight, the chorus’ president, said through a spokesman that chorus members were the ones injured and that the driver was “part of the Chorus family.”

9 Likes

This makes so much sense. A couple of summers ago, I tried to manually override our company’s Nest and it kept going back to 78° F. Nobody else was touching the thermostat. We were perplexed.

9 Likes

9 Likes

We have a dumb thermostat (or maybe it’s “anti-smart thermostat”) and I love that dang thing. It’s not super old and it doesn’t have a mercury switch in it, but it’s basically a hands-on-to-operate-it.

It replaced a programmable thermostat (also not a smart thermostat, not connected to the web) that was new but flaky and didn’t play well with our HVAC wiring.

Companies looking to shave down operating expenses seem to be opting more and more for smart thermostats because they yield so much data while they take all the autonomy out of workers’ hands.

I was in an absolutely steam-bath-hot Lowe’s hardware store five years ago. Of course, I asked about the air-conditioning issue when I saw Lowe’s employee in the front, fanning herself.

“Can’t change the settings on any thermostats in the store,” she said.

Why not?

“They are all controlled by corporate in North Carolina.

But we’re in Austin, Texas!

“Yeah,” she said. “We told them. They know it’s hot in here.” She was just starting her work shift. I felt for her.

I got what I needed and was out of that store in 10 minutes.

12 Likes

My power company, Dominion Electric has a voluntary program where they can limit my a/c during peak usage times which is usually mid day and mid-afternoon on the hottest days. They can only do it 8 times a summer and give me a rebate of $20-40 per year to cover it. They accomplish this by adding a device to our outdoor heat pump. They allow us to opt out on a certain days if we wish. We’ve never even noticed when they do it.

3 Likes

I did. You made the right choice.

7 Likes

In our case, we’re a small company with two locations. The production facility is in LV and they have to keep the temperature much lower than us (<72°). Even the VP checked the settings online and it was set to 74°, so he was likewise stumped.

6 Likes

In commercial buildings, there is often a building automation system where energy saving features can be programmed in. Set your thermostat however you like and it can limit you to 76-78 deg F in the summer. There are also wall sensors that only give you 3 degrees F of control in either direction. That’s not even mentioning the dummy controls that satisfy people by giving them the illusion of control.

7 Likes

I feel like individuality is really kind of two different notions:

1. You are a unique person, and should get to live in a way that works for who you are;
  2. You should look after yourself and not concern yourself with helping other people.

I think the two can be separated, as evidenced by the right-wing going all in on the second while opposing the hell out of the first. Needless to say I think the exact opposite is what we need.

13 Likes

I’m not sure how they would do this. Each suite at the business park has their own unit on the roof and temp control in the suite. Each tenant pays their own energy costs, too. When we had our production next door, we ran our AC at a much lower temp and added supplemental Mitsubishi units in the converted warehouse area.

3 Likes

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-proudboys-leader-exclusive/exclusive-proud-boys-leader-was-prolific-informer-for-law-enforcement-idUSKBN29W1PE

6 Likes

When Generation X came out, America had been run by World War II veterans, with their particular worldview and agenda, for the previous four decades

At that time, generational politics had a certain logic to it, which … is no longer relevant now

6 Likes

I think the proper word is selfish. Synonyms are narcissistic, egoistic, etc. but no mention of individuality.

They simply have the incorrect definition of the word.

8 Likes

Yeah, I had them take it off of my system because when they cut off my unit it was always hot AF when it was needed the most. Several hours of hot and humid sweat time wasn’t worth the savings. That’s what AC is for.

Today was a good example of good riddance to that system. It is hot and humid AF. Feels like New Orleans in the arm pit of Puerto Rico and it’s not even August yet.

5 Likes

12 posts were split to a new topic: On the necessity of heating and cooling

14 Likes

Yeah, probably not in the case you describe.

1 Like

Time for $5 of dry ice and a fan.

4 Likes

All you have to do is switch the “helping” to “harming” and you’ve got good advice for “conservatives”.

7 Likes