The Gallery of Just Plain Assholes (Part 2)

Federal investigation is looking for at least $75 million in missing silver and gold from a Delaware warehouse

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/federal-investigation-is-looking-for-at-least-75-million-in-missing-silver-and-gold-from-a-delaware-warehouse/ar-AA1m93I6?ocid=msedgntp&pc=ASTS&cvid=b368f3de76db45669b2e464faaa7f081&ei=64

Sell old people precious metals that they store for them.

2 Likes

A rule I have lived by for many many years is that, if you do not hold it, you do not own it. “Possession is 9/10’s of the law” is a way oversimplification, but it is true enough in this sort of situation to stand.

8 Likes

Yep, as I said in the thread on Project Veritas and Ashley Biden’s diary, there is actually some legal basis for “possession is 9/10 of the law.” It is an oversimplification, but it’s not entirely wrong. In this case, notice it doesn’t say the company was charged with criminal theft. Tax evasion and fraud, but not theft. And that’s because they legally had possession. And they were trading futures and doing other investing shit with the metals, so even selling it was probably not theft. It might be conversion, which is the civil version of theft, but it’s not a crime. So yeah, the law favors possession a lot of the time.

8 Likes
4 Likes

Well that sounds like a fun show.

/S

:yawning_face:

6 Likes

OK, time for a very dangerous game. I’m going to predict the future here. This will hold for a short time, until the customers start to drift away to other options, at which time the franchisees will quietly rehire for these positions. There will be a slight impact to the profit margin, which will be whined and moaned about as a terrible impoverishing of multimillionaire owners, then vanish from the headlines. Just my thought.

8 Likes

We’re going to be petulant and wreck our own businesses isn’t a convincing argument.

6 Likes

Well, but won’t AI just fill in the gaps! /s

5 Likes

@vermes82 beat me to posting this in the workers thread:

In short, they’ll turn to gig workers to deliver (but the whole video is worth watching).

11 Likes

The editor should be looking for a new job after that headline, but I expect they won’t be.

Context:

Out of context:

2 Likes

Saturday Night Live Wow GIF by NBC

8 Likes

Mad Tommy Wiseau GIF by The Room

7 Likes

FTC sues Grand Canyon University over alleged deceptive advertising

https://thehill.com/homenews/education/4380569-ftc-grand-canyon-university/

The complaint, filed in federal court in Arizona, names as defendants Grand Canyon Education (GCE) Inc., GCU and Brian Mueller, who is the chief executive officer of GCE and president of GCU, which is already appealinga record-setting $37.7 million fine from the Department of Education over alleged deceptive practices.

The FTC accuses the defendants of “deceiving prospective doctoral students about the cost and course requirements of its doctoral programs and about being a nonprofit, while also engaging in deceptive and abusive telemarketing practices.”

3 Likes

OFFS!

4 Likes

Yeah, Cohen is an idiot (big shock), but that’s on his attorney, not him.

However, Cohen says he didn’t realize the cases cited by Bard had the potential to be fake, nor did he think Schwartz would add the citations to the motion “without even confirming that they existed.” Schwartz [is] facing potential sanctions for including the phony citations.

There’s absolutely zero excuse for those getting submitted to the court. His attorney almost certainly subscribes to either Westlaw or LexisNexis, both of which would allow him to verify the existence of those citations in literal seconds. And there’s especially no excuse since this already happened this year in another case, resulting in sanctions for those lawyers. This is failing to do the bare minimum of your job.

11 Likes

4 Likes
7 Likes

I hope there’s a Finnish saying similar to “if it quacks like a duck”.

5 Likes

3 Likes

Staffer Suggests George Santos May Have Broken His Own Car Window So He’d Have A Reason To Yell At Mayor Adams

5 Likes