The Gallery of Just Plain Assholes (Part 2)

Sometimes, you just gotta make rent…

7 Likes

We’re assuming he even controls his own account now. He’s not in a place that provides much freedom or safety.

Edit:

OTOH- it’s amazing how many people from that era ended up being assholes. Greenwald, Taibbi, Assange.

10 Likes

9 Likes

Angry Fed Up GIF

8 Likes

that woman in red, there, is no Democrat!

10 Likes

She’s probably just there to represent Black Voices against Biden or something like that then.

10 Likes

Angry Hulk GIF

9 Likes
10 Likes

Neither is Susan Collins.

13 Likes

questions included what kind of underwear the then-14-year-old girl wore to Epstein’s mansion and whether she wanted to use him to “get rich.” Amid a string of questions from jurors over whether she felt ashamed of herself, Belohlavek asked if the girl knew she had “committed a crime.”

“I do now,” she said.

9 Likes

AFAIK Edward Snowden did what he did because he is a right-libertarian activist.

Talking about the underwear of teen girls seems kind of lurid. But I guess that teen girls are a category to titillate, never victims worthy of justice.

10 Likes

Duggan questioned the girl about her MySpace profile, reading aloud lines that cast her as a wayward teenager. She’d smoked pot and shoplifted, Duggan said. She listed beer as her choice of alcohol. She had four piercings.

11 Likes

Oh My God Omg GIF

11 Likes

Most teenagers i see in the office would consider that a decent start, but only a start.

11 Likes

Know Your Media

Once upon a time, Newsweek, which was founded in 1933, was a highly respected magazine. Over the last 15 years, however, it has been devoured by the digital economy and become a shell of itself. Still, that shell – and the fact that many people still think of Newsweek as a vaguely reputable brand – has proved very useful to the far right. In 2022, for example, the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC), a respected civil rights advocacy organization, published an extensive analysis that found that after Newsweek positioned the political activist Josh Hammer to run its opinion pages (he’s now moved on to be a senior editor-at-large), the magazine took a “radical right turn by buoying extremists and promoting authoritarian leaders”.

In his personal podcast, the SPLC observe, Hammer has frequently spoken about “[shifting] the Overton window” and pushing far-right views into the mainstream; that, arguably, was also his goal at Newsweek. As the New Republic noted back in 2020, it certainly looks a lot like Newsweek’s “former legitimacy is [being] used to launder extreme and conspiratorial ideas”.

In short: if you’re wondering why a brand like Newsweek would, in the year 2024, publish an op-ed that essentially argues women have no worth without a husband and kids? Well, you need to look at the broader context of what Newsweek’s become.

16 Likes

This is disturbing in so many ways:

Original essay by Andrea Robin Skinner:

14 Likes

Reminds me a lot of the allegations against Marion Zimmer Bradley which came out after she died…

10 Likes
11 Likes
8 Likes