The Gallery of Trump-Inspired Assholes (Part 1)

15 Likes

That writing sounds horrid, even without the obvious anti-Muslim anti-trans sentiment.

What a despicable person JK Rowling is…

14 Likes

She’s not a Hufflepuff - she more of a Duke (David) University.

13 Likes

that sounds like dolores umbridge trying to write phillip marlowe fanfic.

ouch!

14 Likes

Right?

It sounds utterly terrible, just from those tiny snippets.

I hope the critics eviscerate it.

13 Likes
7 Likes

It’s not just any male pseudonym. It’s the name of a psychiatrist infamous for abusive human experiments, including use of implanted electrodes for “gay conversion therapy” efforts on a coerced (by threat of legal at the time punishment) gay subject. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Galbraith_Heath#Gay_conversion_therapy

9 Likes

Deer, man, same thing right?

14 Likes

Some Islamophobia to go along with the transphobia, I see. At the rate she’s going toward full-blown Toryism, it’s only a matter of time before she’s lobbying the city of Edinburgh to bar poor people from spending their days writing in coffee houses.

16 Likes

Rereading Harry Potter to my kid exposed a lot of weird things in the writing to me I didn’t pick up on a long time ago - especially on gender roles and how her fantasy world that is parallel to the real world is an objectivist hellhole.

9 Likes

My kid watched the movies, but never read the novels (even though I’ve owned whole set since before she was born.)

I haven’t re-read them in nearly two decades, and now given how hateful the author is, I have no desire to.

14 Likes

I would not be doing it if it wasn’t for a kid, especially after reading the first few. I remembered obvious things like magical slaves wanting to remain slaves, how just casual and abuse is and how it’s almost considered good for the person being abused, cultural appropriation is still encouraged (including foreign mysticism) in a wizarding world, and very clumsy “racism is bad” stand ins like werewolves… but I didn’t remember how much the writing enforces boys should be unyielding assholes and girls should be passive voices, how the werewolf racism used Lupin to be the token good member of a race that wanted to genocide the main race (also same story for giants), four pillars of wizard industry carved out a private school in England meant to encourage a meritocracy (unlike the government) that includes a literal Nazi trying to stomp out impure wizarding lines as one of the founding members that all are held with equal esteem to present day, or that a world that has no need for any sort of money still has a socioeconomic stratification of classes where the good poor people refuse money to cover their mysterious need for money because the nobility of earning a wage.

The Weasleys literally fought side by side with Dumbledore against Voldemort the first time and their extremely successful children still didn’t have a full ride to Hogwarts because of that last concept. It is just full of so much nonsensical real world politics that we know were specifically chosen to be the features of a whimsical world that is better than the real one.

10 Likes

Understood; my own kid was just never interested in the books.

Which, in hindsight, seems like a good thing.

11 Likes

At least it has opened a window to talking about those things without using a horrific news article to do it instead.

10 Likes

Silver lining.

My kid is 15 now, so we’re always having those kinds of conversations.

9 Likes
11 Likes

16 Likes
14 Likes

deer, man, woman, camera, TV.
how’d I do?

11 Likes

Caution: Unconfirmed. Parse with caution.

14 Likes