The history of wingwalking as told by a wingwalker, whilst walking on a wing

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/25/the-history-of-wingwalking-as.html

2 Likes

Looks like fun!

3 Likes

No parachute, ballsy.

Ah, Tom Scott. Most of what he does is less dramatic than this, but I heartily recommend watching everything on his channel - he has excellent taste in curiosities and interesting places.

2 Likes

As a child two scenes in The Great Waldo Pepper traumatized me for life (you know the ones), so I think I’ll be skipping this video.

2 Likes

I want a turn! Mom! Can I walker on the winger?

A little disconnect between the headline’s “whilst walking on a wing” and

As a civilian this is a thrill ride… You can get yourself strapped into this… and then just experience it.

Not a whole lot of history, either. No names, events, etc.
“…totally different from the 1920’s” (01m58s)

ETA: Were people 100 years ago more connected/intimate with physics (/reality) than they are today?

ETA2: which forum members among you were more-or-less compelled to do the “rope climb” in school? Any swimming/diving as part of P.E.?
Just curious. b. 1982, had the opportunity to do both but never felt forced. Rope climb scared the hell out of me as a gradeschooler. Did my best in the diving well in H.S. but couldn’t quite pull it off.

2 Likes

Oh man those guys freak me out.

wing-walker

2 Likes

No miniskirt, no cred.

2 Likes

(I do :zipper_mouth_face:)

1 Like

The history of wingwalking as told by a wingwalker, whilst walking on a wing

Tom Scot is a well known youtuber, not a wingwalker. I mean technically you could say he is, that this is what he is doing in the video. But that is kinda like calling someone a TV presenter for being a guest on a talkshow once.

But yes, fun video! I often miss Tom’s video’s as they are coming out so I’ll occasionally watch all his newest video’s in one sitting.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.