The home urinal movement

When my son and his cousins all arrive at my parents’ house, I have to remind them “no points for hitting the rim. Nor the floor.” One of them’s painting like Jackson Pollock on the floor in there.

3 Likes

speaking as someone who spent 18 months being mostly responsible for cleaning the urinals in the public area restrooms in an expensive ranch/resort–a total of 7 urinals between the lobby and the restaurant–it really isn’t that strenuous to make sure the urinal and the area around it are clean, very clean.

that said, i can’t imagine needing one in my home since, as others have noted, raising the seat and using reasonable care has never impinged on my life.

3 Likes

Add me to the list of people with experience of the ‘waterless’ urinals. All the bad points previously mentioned, including the barrier liquid you fill the p-trap with is outrageously expensive (a quart costs about $27 here, and will last less than a week in a public setting), and I doubt it’s environmentally neutral. Every public place around here that has installed one has pulled it out within a few years, many sooner, unless reinstalling the old water flush urinals means gutting the plumbing.

4 Likes

More like Bloody Stupid Johnson?

2 Likes

If Japanese toilets count as “bidets”, then I say amen.

I couldn’t possibly recommend the Toto E200 any higher. Your pompis will be eternally grateful.

2 Likes

I appreciate all the good feedback; I may get the chance to overhaul my basement in the next few years and a bathroom/urinal is a possibility for that space. On paper, water-free urinals sound ideal, but I’m glad to hear some real-world use cases.

2 Likes

Okay what the hell is that? It’s like a combination of a sink toilet and urinal all in one.

It looks like you can wash your hands and do other things and it all goes down the drain.

Does it do what I think it does? Hmm…:thinking:

Furthermore- women complaining people don’t need a male only device…ummm, biased? When you are half asleep not having to hit a bowl that you have to lift up first in the dark is a pretty big advantage.

Personally my Holy Grail is a Toto washlet fully specced out with bidet and bubble blower and heated seat and air-blast dry. God I miss Japanese toilets

2 Likes

We had these where I worked. They stank to high heavens. I wouldn’t put one anywhere near my home.

I retired before they put in the waterless toilets.

1 Like

May I suggest a catheter?

5 Likes

problem solved

3 Likes

Those were fantastic. I was so impressed. I felt proud using them. And all the woodwork throughout that brewery. Truly awed.

1 Like

You mean you piss in the bed?

10 Likes

I do wonder, on a Venn-diagram plotting “guys who want a home urinal” and “guys who don’t wipe their asses”, just how large is the intersection?

8 Likes

I do not understand this kind of behavior. I do not understand it so hard, that I am growing to suspect that there is a behavior-determining allele that compels some males of the species to want to spray out their territory like a fucking poorly leash-trained retriever—oh hey, this room doesn’t smell enough like my piss yet. . . I know what will fix that!

Off to go smell the evening news now!

8 Likes

If I had room for one more fixture in a bathroom, I think I’d go with a bidet before a urinal.

GoT%20THIS

No, no, no - touching your bum will make you gay. And bidet is French, so using one will make you, like, double-gay!

5 Likes

Seriously, though? I am right with you on the improper ass hygiene × prefers the floor to the urinal conjecture.

2 Likes

An Expektorierbecken or Speibecken (also called Luther or Pabst/Papst in Studentenverbindungen). It’s for vomiting. Usually with a large diameter drain and strong flush system. Not very common, mostly found in Austria, Switzerland, Southern parts of Germany.

5 Likes

This. I don´t need an urinal, I use the sink when I feel like pissing standing up (usually when I´m a little drunk). I call shennanigans on this “movement”, it seems to be another of thoose ploys by the urinal industry.

2 Likes

You’re taking the piss, right?

2 Likes