The intersection of anti-vaxxers & tone deaf suburban white people has been found

Yeah, I have a current project in the works to replace something that reached a natural end. Part of it looks at anti-vaccination and I take very close-up themed photos for every post and I’ve debated whether taking close-ups of a syringe and needle do more harm than good. I want to look at photographing much closer in, at the numbers on the syringe, but I’m waiting on a lens. Instead I’ve gotten photos of printed out scientific papers and other related objects.

3 Likes

I honestly think this is true for a big percentage of them. Parents who went through needle trauma as a kid (and I had some seriously painful shots, so I can relate) and are eager and happy to find an excuse to not put their kids though that. For years, as an adult, I had to psych myself up and distract myself as best I could to not faint while getting shots or blood drawn, which is ridiculous, I know. But honestly, needles these days are so thin that I don’t remember the last shot I had that I could even feel, much less be traumatized by.

4 Likes

I suggest those Pro-Disease people get their own island, secluded from the rest of the world. Everyone will have a certain understanding if they kill vaccine missionaries on sight.

That version also helps solving another problem in the long run:

Well, let them try a bit population dynamics when they are on their own. On the fucking back side of the moon, if they must.

To cite the only line Breaking Bad was worth watching: Science, bitches.

It works. With a quite narrow confidence interval and a good R².

1 Like

You probably don’t want to see the two foot long stainless steel rigid surgical canulae I have in one of my toolboxes.

5 Likes

Actually I do want to see it! But under the circumstances if you do choose to take a picture you might want to wrap it in a spoiler tag.

I work with pretty big needles (though not anywhere near that long) since I use them to inject fairly large volumes of reactants to air-free environments at work. Ours are all mainstream sterile medical equipment (unless we can buy discount expired stock), so it’s all stuff I’ve seen in the doctor’s office*, but I’ve never seen a two-footer.

*Actually, I’ve never seen an 8" needle on a 30 mL syringe in my doctor’s office, but you know what I mean.

4 Likes

I used to have a pretty bad fear of needles. Then one time the doc said: “if it bothers you so much, don’t look at it.”

Ever since I started just not looking, it doesn’t hurt much and I’m not particularly bothered. The worst one is when I’m getting blood drawn but that’s mainly due to the tourniquet being uncomfortable.

4 Likes

Mmm, two foot long cannoli…

10 Likes

Be still my heart.

3 Likes

He was going to put a ballet sequence of slowly dying children.

As someone who, for the life of him, cannot find actual cannoli shells anywhere lately, this is an incredibly frustrating image.

5 Likes

Needle-phobic, do not deblur!

Surgical canula about a foot and a half long, couldn’t find a longer one quickly :slight_smile:

it’s slightly bent and contaminated, but still occasionally useful!

3 Likes

Same here, if I can do it with cannoli.

3 Likes

Yeah, I just look the other way and there’s no problem. After actually fainting once during a blood draw, I got in the habit of mentioning it to the nurse/tech and found that it’s a very common issue they’re used to dealing with. At one doctor, they called over the sassy secretary, who went into a whole amazing routine of showing me her new hairdo and manicure while they took tubes of blood. It worked!

3 Likes

DS9-sisko-nah

1 Like

Well I’m pretty needlephobic and I am 100% pro-vaccine. Although I’ve been putting off my tetanus booster for long enough that my doctor is pretty annoyed with me.

2 Likes

Has he ever tried working in … the games industry?

I guarantee you, they ask you what kinds of games you play.

1 Like

That’s what my phlebotomists do for blood draws. I tell them I need to be lying down, that I’m a fainter, and they keep me talking through the whole thing. If you’re talking, you can’t forget to breathe.
I still have trouble with IVs though. If they don’t get it in there fast I’m a goner.

4 Likes

Yeah, the first time I had this happen, I was giving blood, and was pretty nonchalant about it. I remember them getting the IV in and watching the blood flow, thought “that’s neat,” and the next thing I knew, I had people slapping my face and asking how many fingers they were holding up. Now I know to give them a heads’ up and phlebotomists are total pros about it.

I still feel a little sorry for the nurse- or phlebotomist-in-training who tried to jab me for an IV during an ER visit (complications from outpatient surgery) years ago, before I had a better handle on my phobia. I’m told I was I was VERY nasty to her when she missed. Considering my condition at the time, I’m surprised I had the energy and awareness to respond. I don’t recall any of it.