The interview that brought down an Irish political legend

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/09/the-interview-that-brought-dow.html

5 Likes

It’s good, but it’s no:

Edit
The current holder of this award is the last EU Trade Commissioner Phil Hogan, whose unbearable hubris allowed him to repeatedly, with many different interviewers, keep on stuffing his foot into his reticulated mouth until his whole torso had disappeared into his pie hole.

5 Likes

Video link for the BBS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0wAbQUMfWs

5 Likes
11 Likes

So was that joke in Father Ted inspired by these scandals then?

3 Likes

Interesting stuff. I wouldn’t mind if 10 minute of sharply edited documentary takes off as a format.

2 Likes

This reminds me of a story that appeared in the new york times, where some member of the one percent complained about how his family had very little disposable income, after private schools, the stiff mortgage on his townhouse, and so on. If I recall, he didn’t recieve a lot of symnpathy from readers who relied on public schools, who rented, who had zero disposable income…

The plot was used in Lanchester’s Capital, in Wolfe’s Bonfire of the vanities, and a number of others. The rich and privileged can choose to overextend themselves, and being rich allows that to be a choice.

5 Likes

Too many of the fuckers won’t pay their bills, either. Poor folks pay up b/c they know they’ll be screwed if they don’t. The rich know the only consequence will be increased interest, which they can easily afford.

3 Likes

Father Ted finished a year before the interview, so probably not unless it was an open secret.

Bishop Brennan was partly based on Eamonn Casey though.

5 Likes

I think so, yes. It was either Pee Flynn or the even more corrupt Ray Burke, but I think it was Pee. I would have given you a definite answer at the time but the years have not been kind. As @the_borderer says Eamonn Casey was also a major inspiration to the writers.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.