'The kidney has a very special place in the heart' —Trump, signing kidney health executive order

No, he learned their locations as good places to punch.

There’s a spirit like you see rarely

So, Trumpty sees spirits. Not often, but he does see them.

Sadly the rules here prohibit me from making mental health diagnoses of people who think they see ghosts (or hear voices, which is pretty similar).

Take another look. He seems to think there’s one, not two, and that it’s located in the heart. Pretty sure he thinks it’s something metaphorical.

Dialysis in the USA is already run like a grift. The federal government pays for it in the end, so shifty businesses like DaVita build empires on privatizing government mobey providing subpar treatment (paid for by the government) then charging patients for it as well.

5 Likes

Thousands of American lives, if the last tweet in the post is accurate:

“America first, American patients first,” says @POTUS wrapping up his speech. “The kidney has a very special place in the heart.”

I find the first line much more disturbing than the second.

3 Likes

Sorry, no. I worked on this like 15 years ago at a different company.

Short version of instructable (missing some details, but enough to get started):

Prep: Create a double skin jejunostomy with a 2 m loop of jejunum (reconnect the remaining jejunum). Let heal a couple days.

Using:

1. Mix 20-30 L of tap water with non-absorbable sugars (i.e. sorbital) and some salts to create a slightly hypertonic, hypoionic to neutral solution. Getting proportions correct is key. Add a little sugar to maintain villi.
  2. Weigh yourself.
  3. Put enough solution in a big bucket above abdomen level. Put second bucket below the abdomen level. “Enough” depends on what you mixed up and how much fluid you need to get rid of. But Probably on the order of 10-30 L.
  4. Stick a hose in each ostomy. Stick the other end of each hose in a bucket.
  5. Start a siphon of the solution. Let it flow through the loop. Catch what comes out and drain into the empty bucket.
  6. After enough fluid has gone through, dump the buckets.
  7. Weigh yourself again. The difference is how much water you got rid of. Weight should be tracked to make adjustments and maintain proper body fluid levels.

That’s about it. It’s not sterile. Possibly messy. Very cheap. The biggest danger is overdializing. In the early days, before we understood how well it worked, we pulled so much fluid from a pig, it died of dehydration in the middle of the procedure.

2 Likes

Sure, I doubt another country can set foreign policy on organ harvesting.

That being said, I’d also bet that there aren’t many countries with organ harvesting is a for-profit thing, either.

If we switchex organ donation to opt out at the DMV instead of opt-in, that’d solve a large portion of the organ shortage overnight.

2 Likes

Leopold Bloom says fine tang of faintly scented urine… so pretty much warm flat Budweiser.

I was reading it as suggesting (even if this law doesn’t state it) that US citizens get organ transplants. Back of the line for green card holders…

1 Like

“The kidney, very special, the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It’s an incredible thing. There’s a spirit like you see rarely.”

His presidential library will be a half empty shelf of coloring books with fumbled attempts at staying in the lines, located in the children’s department of an abandoned Sears.

I have never been more grateful to have good kidneys on both sides. Both sides.

1 Like

So we did research and got it working on animals. Then came the problem: no way to make money. It would take millions, maybe 10s of millions, to do clinical trials. But how do you make money when all you need (after some surgery akin to a colostomy) are a couple buckets, some cheap food additives, a hose, and tap water? Home Depot and GFS have those sewn up already.

I would have paid well for this. My favorite dog and I could have had years more time together. I looked for some homemade dialysis set up, and only found some science fair project that might have worked.

Sigh.

When will POTUS establish national organ banks? Will they be as corrupt and mis-run as VA hospitals? Will underground organ banks flourish? And organleggers?

1 Like

Probably require people on benefits to give up a kidney to stay on welfare. Or take them from executed prisoners. Or a large, helpless captive population of “unclaimed” immigrant children.

2 Likes

HelloKidney

11 Likes

3 Likes

Give it up for the Kidney.

He does have an excellent wit - it’s just of the Nit kind.

3 Likes

Is this why my nose runs every time I need to pee?