The Lincoln Project examines Trump (Impotus Americanus) through a zoologist lens

You’re right—taking the high road has worked sooo well for us :roll_eyes:

“Don’t worry bro it’s just the flu policy” would be even funnier if it wasn’t so tragic.
The among the most frightening things to hit me in the face in the last 4 months is how willfully ignorant people in this (USA) country are. I never thought facts and science would be so widely disregarded. I knew there were people who did not want to accept the world is round, just shocked at how many.

3 Likes

Given the information that’s been coming out, it turns out everything was far more evil than this video assumes. The actual policy was “let people in democratic states die - we don’t care about them and can blame democrats for the outcome.” The “it’s just the flu, bro” turns out to just be how they sold the policy. The US response is deliberate malice weaponizing willful ignorance to achieve its goals, and having it all blow up because the people who are evil are also inept and incredibly stupid, too.

6 Likes

The people running the LP do not have American Democratic interest in mind. They ate putting on a good face bashing 45 but they are pro business, low taxes, smash civil rights GOP establishment, make no mistake.

3 Likes

All the Lincolns?
ezgif.com-optimize (1)

1 Like

I think to understand the intent behind these latest Lincoln Project ads, you have to see them as equivalent to the trial scene in A Few Good Men. Trump has a great deal of difficulty restraining himself, and eventually he just might pop.

2 Likes

Trump don’t pop.

I’m not certain about the “thanking” or the “hit the bricks”. Either action implies some sort of involvement with the TLP. They are utterly uninvolved with the Democratic party. The party has no say over them, nor do they have any say over the party.

The fact that their agenda happens to coincide here is happenstance. I see no reason to praise or criticize them because the left’s opinion is irrelevant to them and their opinion and actions are irrelevant to the left. Likewise, I don’t bother watching their ads because they’re irrelevant to me.

That aside, I do worry that TLP’s electoral tactics may bleed into Democratic thought, slowly poisoning the party, much as I worry about American electoral tactics bleeding into the rest of the world’s thought, poisoning them in turn.

After all, the desire for short term electoral gain (especially when the bad guys are doing it) is always tempting, even if history shows time and time again where the “ends justifies the means” leads us.

I know. I also know that conservatives always expect something in return for a favour, asked or unasked. These are effective ads that may convince some Republican voters to stay home – TLP knows it and the DNC establishment (already promoting a watered-down version of the GOP establishment’s economic and military agenda) knows it. Anyone who doesn’t think the TLP will be showing up asking for consideration if Biden wins is very naive.

Right now, I worry more about the TLP’s actual political agenda bleeding further into Democratic thought, bringing it even further rightward into neoliberal fundamentalism and into neoCon foreign policy. I may be a liberal, but I’m a fighting liberal. As such, I don’t have time to waste fanning myself over tone when facing a nascent facist movement in the U.S.

3 Likes

Which is how you end up (in the long term) with two fascist movements :slight_smile:

Now I am massively overstating the case, but I do think that much of the present political situation in the US is a result of American ingenuity and efficiency directed at the the problem of “how do I win elections?”

Unfortunately, the ultimate answer seems to be a series of moves that ultimately destroys democracy.

And having lived through a number of elections, we both know that every election feels like a choice between the the abyss and surviving another four years. That is why the electoral strategy ratchet only goes in one direction - towards greater efficiency in winning the election, no matter how poisonous to the long-term health of democracy.

Which is why it is important to have at least one side that, nascent fascists movement or not, can look at some electoral strategies, know that this would improve their chances to win, understand what it will cost the nation if the other side wins, and still be able to say “no”.

And yes, sometimes the Nazis win, but not nearly as often as when both sides have surrendered to the need win at all costs.

Which is why I am not a fan of the TLP’s “help” to the Democratic party. It’s already destroyed the Republicans. Would hate to see it happen to the Democrats.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.