The Lincoln Project: Today's new ad features Trump and his 'slow the testing down' line

I’ve only ever seen “supply-side” for their own budgets and “fiscal conservative” for anyone else’s.

The Laffer Curve and Two Santas Theory came about in the mid-70s. I think that’s the official origin of Republicans as fiscal conservatives narrative. By 1980, Bush had already publicly called out Reaganomics (supply-side, trickle-down) as “voodoo economics.” I can’t think of a single time period where fiscal conservative Republicans was represented in the national debt. I would also say that was almost two generations ago.

I’ve been enjoying The Lincoln Project ads but until recently i didn’t realise they were a republican organisation because of how scathing they’ve been, so i feel like we’re in a ‘whoever wins, we lose’ kind of situation here. I had just assumed ALL repubs had fallen to their knees in front of satan’s little helper.

The whole idea behind the name is that the Republican Party (of which Lincoln was the first President) once stood for sensible, even progressive ideals like abolition and unity and women’s suffrage. There’s no inherent reason it couldn’t become a party of positive ideals once again.

How so? Isn’t it better all around if Republicans are starting to rebel against Trump?

I don’t support Republicans in general (at least none of the ones who held office in my lifetime) but I’d rather debate policy with an opposition party that’s got some semblance of sanity, tolerance and competence than one which is dedicated to destroying society as we know it.

6 Likes

Yeah, i guess so. I suppose it’s the result of the conditioning of almost 4 years of this shit that makes one think republicans are irredeemable at this point but i shouldn’t tar them all with the same brush. Hey, if there’s a splinter group that purges the old fossils when this shitshow is over then all the better.

3 Likes

Even if it turns out the entire party IS irredeemable I’ll take “infighting against Trump” as a positive thing.

6 Likes

Lost cause. The sad truth is that between the neoConfederates and the theocrats, any “moderate” Republican will get Cantored out of office. Any attempt at a non-Democratic third party is even worse off, hard as that might seem.

There is a long tradition of members of a party being more concerned with the fight against other wings of the party than they are with their party winning.

1 Like

But Newt was intelligent enough to realize that it was all just a shell. Unlike 45 who has no identity beyond his shell. I have seen Newt interviewed in several progressive documentaries, and when he is pandering to intelligent kind people he actually comes across as intelligent and kind.

The cracks in the matrix of irredeemability are beginning to show. It will all come crashing down when 45 is shown the door (to his jail cell).

1 Like

Getting rid of Trump, stopping the damage he’s doing to America, and hopefully take over the post-Trump GOP and steer it back to sanity?

I’ve said it before, “small government,” is the great dog-whistle uniting both wings of the GOP. The rich think “lower taxes” when they hear it, and the racists think "No more federal interference with locally racist laws and policies.

2 Likes

Attempting to restore some sense of decency to the party? Making Conservatism Great Again? I agree with more planks in the platform of those across that aisle, but I truly do pity any ® who saw the policies of their party erode away. Even 2020 hasn’t totally stripped me of the idealism that believes that reasoned debate and compromise make a stronger country. The modern party of 45 is a divisive, racist, insult-fueled cancer gnawing away at America’s political animal. Just the concept of one half of the legislature simply not doing their job out of spite is enraging. I wish the Lincoln Project would toss some of their excellent shade-fu upon Moscow Mitch. His quiet inaction is just as damaging as 45’s unhinged blather, but Mitch knows how to get what he wants without a tantrum.

I take short-term joy in watching the party eat itself, after the misery it’s inflicted for so long on so many, but I take no pleasure in the fact that this is what it takes now, in 2020.

OK, I take extra pleasure in imagining the Conway home life, but that’s also because I detest Kellyanne-can’t-be-bothered-to-check-the-spelling and her shameless shilling.

2 Likes

They did take one shot:

1 Like

Is he? Because he’s never backtracked and to this day continues to double down on his odious ideology. He was another rotten brick on the road we are on today. He continues to be fully on board with Trump and what he’s doing.

That doesn’t mean he doesn’t believe in what he works for and espouses on a daily basis.

As Maya Angelou told us, when people show us who they are, believe them.

1 Like

I don’t honestly expect 45 to ever see the inside of a jail cell but…

2 Likes

Newt’s a two-faced shitbag that’s proved he is again and again. May he rot in Hell.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.