The luckiest getaway driver of all time

Maybe the BB article should be updated with the Instagram post by the original creator:

5 Likes

There is a series of these and they are all produced to similar effect. It’s a good exercise for developing CGI artists if nothing else.

3 Likes

With no one living in them??

6 Likes

:thinking: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob:

4 Likes

It seems to be largely true, although some are more real-life Loony Tunes cartoons…

3 Likes

At least as good as GTA San Andreas.

Not to mention tire tracks don’t look like that generally. Usually some indication of the tread.

Also the car in the oncoming lane doesn’t slow down WHEN AN SUV DROPS IN FRONT OF HIM.

4 Likes

You know, you could post real video and tell people it’s CGI and they’d find all sorts of “tells” that it’s fake.

Like, look at all the wrong shadows in this CGI:

4 Likes

Flat lighting, fast action, and video compression hide many flaws. But it was good enough that I wondered why we didn’t see that particular stunt back before CGI, when every permutation involving ramps was covered.

1 Like
3 Likes

Really no.

YouTube

1 Like

This sort of thing was lampshaded well in Wayne’s World 2
https://getyarn.io/yarn-story/2a3075cf-0f62-4941-b0bf-5a710572546f

2 Likes

So right! A blight on the roadways. How dare they get in the way of my Bentley Bentayga? Keep that cheap German junk out of my way!

3 Likes

Any Flaming Carrot reference gets a star from me.

3 Likes

Same. Very same.

I was hoping there would be an apple cart.

2 Likes

Your Bentley is in the way of my Apocalypse.

1 highway/0 city - ooo zero! /simpsons

1 Like

I’ve been holding out for the right deal, but now you can order them with LED lighting and a jet ski package! I’m in!

1 Like

Jersey is one of the UK’s tax havens, so you do get a fair number of Jersey registered cars on UK roads, usually driven by someone who’s dad had a ‘creative’ accountant.

The original ones were made for the German army and police, and those ones are perfectly serviceable off-roaders, similar to a Land Rover or Jeep. Then at some point Mercedes realised they could also sell them to rich people, and the gradually morphed into the luxo-barges they are now. (Although I suppose the same could be said of Land Rovers)

The tax haven element has very little to do with physical presence and I’d assume it rarely entails having a car registered there. They are occasionally seen but nothing like in numbers that you’d expect if it reflected the number of tax avoiders linked to the island. I’ve always assumed the fairly rarely seen J number plate was a tourist/visitor.

And the police car also looked like it had a J number plate! :wink: